HW works ok but no CH

everything was working until friday ...

I think i'll post some photos - please bear with me, I really appreciate your help with this.

Rod

Sponsored Links
As twgas suggested can you check if there is 240V on the brown wire of the CH valve, when the room thermostat is ON ?

If the brown wire is Live and the blue wire is close to zero Volts, the valve actuator will either work or it needs replacing.

Here's my wiring - the junction box is British Gas' idea - the connection goes direct into the motorized valve as you can see.

I tested the connections with the thermostat OFF and only one wire was live.

With the thermostat ON - there are 2 live connections

- so I'm guessing both the thermostat and controller are working ok ?

wiring.jpg

would a faulty pump cause my problem ?

That looks OK so far. If the valve was working properly it would move the lever right across, a microswitch would operate and the Orange wire would go Live causing the boiler to fire up.

Have you tried holding the valve fully open manually to see if any of this happens?

It may be that the valve and microswitch have been totally knackered at the same time but that makes me a bit suspicious there may be something else at fault. A multimeter across the brown and blue showing 240V would be a lot more convincing.

I doubt there's anything wrong with the pump, assuming you can hear it running and can feel the hot water circulating in the direction of the storage tank OK.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for this - at least something looks right.

Sorry to be so thick, but I can't hear anything in the airing cupboard.

The only time I hear anything is when I press the HW Advance button.

When should I hear the pump ? and what should it sound like ?

Would a faulty pump cause the boiler not to fire up ?

I've done some more testing.

With the thermostat ON - I held the lever on the valve in the picture against the pressure and tested the orange wire - it wasn't live.

With the thermostat ON - I pressed the hot water advance switch

The lever on the other motorised valve moved itself - there was a lot of glug glugging around the pipes.

I then tested the orange wire in the picture and it was live

can you make sense of this ?

That last bit sounds right. Once the boiler has received the 240V demand from the hot water side of the system that voltage will come back via the boiler and also appear on the Orange wire going to the CH valve.

It's not looking good for the CH 2-port valve though. Can you get hold of a multimeter to check the voltages properly?

As far as replacing it goes, it may be possible to remove and buy only the head, leaving the plumbing untouched.

brown is switched live

before i electrocute myself - just to be sure,

does this mean I set the meter to 240V and put the black probe on the blue wire and red probe on brown (switched live) ?

brown is switched live

before i electrocute myself - just to be sure,

does this mean I set the meter to 240V and put the black probe on the blue wire and red probe on brown (switched live) ?

That's right. Make sure it's set to 240V AC ~ or it won't read correctly.

Make sure the probes are connected to the correct terminals on the multimeter for Voltage measurement (V/Ohms and COM).

Definitely NOT to the current measuring terminal (Amps).

This meter has fixed probes - is that ok ?

There is a selector for 50; 250; 500 AC V

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back