I Can't remove valve cover for my Bathroom Tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help !
I am tring to replace the valve on my bathroom tap which is dripping badly.

I can easily remove the tap head to expose the valve but cant remove the valve cover. The valve cover is smooth all over so i cant get a spanner on to it. I have tried a mole wrench but it just keeps slipping even though I have used a rubberised protector to try to prevent scratching the cover. I still managed to scratch the tap cover so i have bought a new tap head and cover but need to to be able to get the existing cover off first.

Image is attached to show you what it looks like.

Any suggestions??

Thanks
[/img]

UPDATE!!!
For all you guys that gave advice on this - A Big Thank You!
I managed to remove the cover using boiling water as advised, and also using the wrench at the top of the cover rather than the bottom end where the thread is. Thanks Again.

Sponsored Links
Heat helps
First try pouring boiling water over it. If no go, then a blowlamp at the top.

DOn't put squeezing grips like those stillson pattern down where the thread is. Usually sharp grips near the top, work, and any marks are covered by the cross.

Sponsored Links
I use one of these 'Boa' rubber strap wrenches for this task.

http://www.tool-up.co.uk/shop/diy/BOAOPS.html

The more you turn them, the more they grip. Make sure that the cover you are removing is clean (ie. free from grease, soap scum, etc), as the tool will slip otherwise. An effective tool, which won't damage anything.

Been & queued sell one in the plumbing dept. if you need one quickly.

Strap wrenches that you use to remove car oil filters also work well (the fabric strap type, not the chain ones).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back