I lost a good friend yesterday

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Berry1.jpg

Cancer and internal bleeding. Too much of both. She refused food a few times and went downhill rapidly over 8 or 9 days. No alternative other than to have her put down.

Saddest part of owning a dog. This is our 3rd shepherd and the maddest of the lot, determined to behave like a playful pup. This one though died at an age of just under 5. That came as rather unpleasant shock.

Sponsored Links
My sympathies, there is no more loyal friend than a dog. I lost one at three, eleven years aga and I do still miss it.

Sorry to hear… losing a pet is like losing a best friend.

Again, sorry to hear. it must be tough.

My dog is getting older, and I'm dreading the day

Sponsored Links
I lost my little Aussie last year. I'll always miss her.

I'm sorry you've lost your friend.

sorry for your loss mate.......... I never wanted a dog and missus brought this one home about 20years ago.... little puppy a mongrel .... big eyes looking at me when i first seen him and my heart just melted..... loved him to bits but when he became really unwell I could not take him to get put down as it was too heartbreaking for me.... my daughter took him ....... I really missed him and still do

Sorry A.J. I've had two dogs in my lifetime and loved them greatly. You love a dog more intensely than a person because you only have a short time together.

View attachment 277182

Cancer and internal bleeding. Too much of both. She refused food a few times and went downhill rapidly over 8 or 9 days. No alternative other than to have her put down.

Saddest part of owning a dog. This is our 3rd shepherd and the maddest of the lot, determined to behave like a playful pup. This one though died at an age of just under 5. That came as rather unpleasant shock.
I’m really sorry to hear that, 5 is a very young age for a GSD.

there are quite a few GSDs Insee around the village, they are all lovely dogs.

I’m really sorry to hear that, 5 is a very young age for a GSD.,,

there are quite a few GSDs Insee around the village, they are all lovely dogs.

Had an absolutely lovely BC bitch, brilliantly clever. She only got to 3, but developed a brain tumour. She lost control of her legs over the space of a week, back legs first, I tried to built her a trolley, but it was no use it progressed so quickly.

Next one got to 16, took him out for a decent walk and a few hundred yards out, he laid down and couldn't get back up. I couldn't lift him, couldn't get the car to him it was a track, ended up asking for the help of a farmers 4x4 to get him back to the car. He recovered a little, but only for a few weeks, then collapsed completely whilst away on holiday and had to have him put down.

His 11 year old sister, this week, suddenly became reluctant to jump on chairs and climb stairs. She has recovered somewhat since, but I hope she has just slipped and lost a bit of her confidence, rather than anything else..

Thanks all. Yes - tears figure here as I suspect it does with most people who have this experience. The vet feels that people must relate to the good times dogs provide. True but not that easy to do.

Part of the problem with this GS was 5 years. Just totally unexpected. It would usually be ~10. It's no fun what ever age.

Better vet this time. I'm pretty sure our last one died at 10 for the same reason. They missed the symptoms. The blood loss results in bad blood analysis as the dog can't make it up quickly enough. That results in some heavier breathing and lack of energy. Some blockage from the cancer caused the eating problem. Initially we thought she had just eaten something she shouldn't. That can be a problem with all dogs. At least it was all fairly quick. It wasn't with our very first dog, a lab collie cross. Partly down to the vet and anti inflammatory injections. This vet was far clearer about the options.

The 1st GS was different. Riddled with cancer and starting to cause more serious problems. Vet thought the kindest option was to put her down before it all became far more serious. ~10 again.

Sponsored Links
Back