I need a surge protector that can be reset???????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm going to India where they have the same Voltage as the UK.

I'm taking all my electrical equipment with me: Laptop, chargers, mp3 player, extension lead, etc, so I'm looking into getting a surge protector.

I need a surge protector that I can plug into a wall socket (via a 3pin to 2pin adaptor), then plug my appliances into the surge protector (via a 3-pin plug). BUT I want one that can be used again and again. (I'm not in a position keep replacing a surge protector everytime it prevents a surge)

Is there such a thing as a resetable surge protoector?

I bought this device from Maplin's, but I just spoke to Maplin Technical support and they said this will not work as a resetable surge protector. :(

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?TabID=1&criteria=rcd adaptor&ModuleNo=29769&doy=27m10

Are they right?

Can you suggest a product that will suit what I need it for :?:

Your advice would be most welcome

Sponsored Links
You have posted a link to a RCD - as such it is resettable. However, it is not a surge protector by which I think you mean a surge in voltage. Do you know that the voltage in India is prone to voltage surges adn is that why you are asking about these?

Hi Thripster.

Yes. I've been told that India is prone to Voltage surges. Their regular voltage is the same as the UK = 230-240V.

I need the surge protector to mainly protect my laptop.

But I need one that I can reset after a surge has been detected. I don't want to keep on having to buy a new one everytime there is a surge. (as they are hard to find in India)

I'd very much like to know if such a product exists.

I'm finding it very hard to find out. Maplins say they definitely don't do them.

So the RDC won't do the job?

Wont the transformer protect the laptop to some degree, as it charges at 12v or something?

Sponsored Links
I'm not sure if laptop power supply leads have in built transformers - if they did would it be enough to control the input of voltage into the laptop? (My laptop isn't with me at the moment so I can't check what it says on the power supply lead).

For example, I've looked at my external hard drive power supply lead, and it says:
INPUT:
100 - 240V AC 1.5A Max 50/60Hz
OUTPUT:
12V 2 A
5V 2A

It was recommended i get a surge protector (by people who have returned from India). They said that surges are common place. :(

A surge protector can be re-used most times, its just in the extreme cases the MOVs will be destroyed (its either that or the connected equipment...which would you prefer?), you just want to get a pretty high spec one and then the energy needed to destroy it will be pretty high

What's an MOV and how do I know what a 'hi spec' surge protector is?

You said it can be reused most times. I thought that once the light turned off (once the surge has cut the connection), then the light can't be reset?

An MOV is a Metal Oxide Varistor.They are used in many applications for surge protection.Most surge protectors of the plug-in variety will normally only be destroyed by a high voltage surge, the most common of which would be a lightning strike

if the light goes out it means the surge protector is dead yes, if its a good quality surge protector most surges shouldn't kill it though (if the surge doesn't kill it then generally you won't notice anything at all)

i doubt the power will be so bad that you will have to replace the surge protectors very often (as others have said it takes really major surges to kill the things)

Hi There.
I'd get myself a 4 gang extension, with surge protection, the chances of Blowing the MOV inside is pretty small, but so you don't get yourself stuck, (in case you cannot replace the extension, which again I'd say was remote unless your going somewhere away from citys), open it up before you go, find what size the MOV is inside, and/or get a couple replacements, they only cost pence.
If by some chance it does blow you can replace it.
Toodle Pip all

martian, please check the date a post was made.

The question was asked 2 years ago so i dont suppose the OP cares anymore

I'm going to India where they have the same Voltage as the UK.
But not quite the same regulatory regime....

hpim18071cef7be6jv5.jpg

970540535_5bdf532fc3.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back