I need some advice on a Zs issue!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ran a lighting circuit, singles in conduit, this circuit has a decent Zs 0.7ohms

Owner then decided to put in another light which he wanted switching separately.

I ran in a new switch live and neutral, no earth as I was using the earth already in the conduit.

Now this circuit gives me a Zs of 2.3mohms, which is massive.

The earth is continuous and r1 + r2 is good

Any ideas

Sponsored Links
Bad connection somewhere unless a monster run, how far is the switch wire? what breaker is feedign the circuit?

If R1+R2 is good, but your loop is way out of what you expect... then perhaps there is an measurement issue with it... what range are you using on your loop tester, the non-trip ranges are often not that great... is there an RCD in the circuit?

RCBO 10 A

Line and neutral to switch. This has a healthy Zs

Lighting circuit connected to supply health Zs

CPC continuous

New run which uses same CPC which is continuous, as is R1, massive Zs

Switch live about 20 m

Sponsored Links
As a sanity check could you move the circuit onto an MCB and do a full-fat loop test?

Dimmer switch?

Cant remember you saying it was a dimmer before? Dimmers should be bypassed for testing, otherwise you risk A) damaging it and B) weird readings

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back