High Zs for circuit with metal conduit earth

I'm wondering if it could just be a bad socket outlet giving an increased reading

Sponsored Links
I had a call to a 60's house a while back. There was no earth on any of the sockets in the lounge.

Fearing a problem with the supply, I started to think I needed to settle down to some fault-finding.

Before I did, I had an idea and checked the Zs from the back of the socket. It was more than fine!

The old 60's sockets were worn and sloppy and were not making contact with the earth pins of the plugs.

Weird that it was every single socket in the room, though!

The rest of the house had more modern sockets, but the lounge must have been forgotten or left as it was OK at the time.

Sponsored Links
I had a call to a 60's house a while back. There was no earth on any of the sockets in the lounge.

Fearing a problem with the supply, I started to think I needed to settle down to some fault-finding.

Before I did, I had an idea and checked the Zs from the back of the socket. It was more than fine!

The old 60's sockets were worn and sloppy and were not making contact with the earth pins of the plugs.

Weird that it was every single socket in the room, though!
Had they been using those silly socket covers?

In this case they're modern sockets, one of them fitted by me recently.

Any thoughts anyone about whether this is actually a problem or not?

I could probably measure R2; perhaps I'll have a go.
I'd still love to hear any opinions on whether this high Zs is actually anything to worry about....

Well, the Zs of 1.31 is just ok for a B32 without the temperature correction.

However, we have these figures:

r1 = 0.50
rn = 0.51
r2 = 0.68
(R1+R2) = 0.68
Zs = 1.31
Ze = 0.2

They can't all be correct.

See what R2 is first.

I have improvised a way of measuring R2, and a value of around 0.6 ohms is plausible.

(Method: two long wires from earth point near CU, two wires from earth of socket; measure DC volts between one pair, supply DC current to other pair using a variable-current-limit bench power supply.)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back