I really dont think this is quite what I expected....

The Flue is about 4.6 meters long excluding the bit right on top of the combi.

The £5100 was for -

The Combi - GlowWorm 30CXi
The flue kits (about 40 boxes)
The shower - Mira Discovery
Three new rads, I was told the exisiting rads would need new valves (none of the other firms mentioned this) at £120 each so I had new rads as the old ones were a bit tired looking.
PT5 Thermostat
A Powerflush...waheyyy
Suprion Scale Reducer

Another firm quoted £4100 but that didnt include the shower and rads.

Sponsored Links
We still need to see the external terminations of those condensate and PRV discharge pipes. I know it's dark now, but can you manage something?

Can you also confirm that the distance between flue and air duct terminations is less than 120mm (between pipe centres) and that there are no terminal meshes or anything (just plain pipe ends)? That is probably the most serious technical error, and being the wrong way round, which will result in flue gases being drawn back into boiler.

Surely it has got to be the time not to just seek legal advice but ring Rogue traders. BG should get a full hours TV for over charging and carrying out the worst install to appear on here in a long time.
Speak to citizans advice, but your well within your rights to hold back payment, obtain 3 quotes for putting the work right and with hold that amount back from BG including filling the grenade size holes in your walls and any redocorating that needs doing down to BG's appalling install.

Sponsored Links
Not quite sure what PRV is?

Anyway Ijust hung out of the bedroom window, not sure if these are any good?

Its just copper pipe to me.

They seem to have tapped into existing outlets from the back boiler etc. Nice of them ro extend the original pipe to go past the french windows below.

The longer pipe is the gas inlet from the main.

I'll take some more tomorrow morning which will give the whole outside picture, if you would care to see.

Have to say thank you very much to all of you for your comments. The internet can be a handy tool.

daglesj said:
Crikey...this is getting scary...and at the same time strangely exciting (when you know you have a good fight on your hands).

Anyway for some further points.

Indeed the air in flue is above the out flue. Nice to know.

That pipe above the skirting is the gas inlet from the mains outside. It goes into the wardrobe behind the airingcupboard.

Indeed it is nice to know the flue is the wrong way round.

The flue outlet must be above the air inlet if mounted Vertically, this is refering to the possition that the flue exits the wall.

My advice now is to contact Glowworm as to how safe the boiler is in this orientation, as you could suck flue gases back into the boiler. It would be an idea to get Glowworm to have inspect the installation, even at a cost, so do have a word with them.

Their phone numbers and web site is at the bottom of the link Chris posted.

Please try to trace that white plastic pipe too. The PRV is the Pressure Relief Valve or Safety Valve. Daylight pictures from a better angle would be good.

Can you make it clear whether the work has been completed (in BG's view anyway) or is it still on-going? Did the installers show you their Corgi cards? Have the installers completed a benchmark record (usually incorporated into installation instruction book these days, but may be separate A5 size blue form)?

Incidentally, if a Keston boiler had been specified, the flue and air duct components would have cost very little (£25ish) since they use standard 50mm MUPVC waste pipe and fittings.

lcgs said:
Surely it has got to be the time not to just seek legal advice but ring Rogue traders. BG should get a full hours TV for over charging and carrying out the worst install to appear on here in a long time.

To be fair this job is appalling but the majority aren't so not really rogue traders. I am also thinking that the job has yet to be passed off by an installation manager as complete and satisfactory, unpaid for and in a complaint procedure therefore unfinished so not yet due for legal advice either.

I wouldn't say it was overpriced either, christ with all those flue extensions I'd be surprised if they broke even.

To be honest, in general I don't think Bg are on top of the price league any more, maybe in the top third. I went to a response today with a leaking hx and she had had 3 quotes from independants ranging from 2k to 3.4k boiler only, bg quoted it for 1.8k.

chrishutt said:
Can you also confirm that the distance between flue and air duct terminations is less than 120mm (between pipe centres) and that there are no terminal meshes or anything (just plain pipe ends)? That is probably the most serious technical error, and being the wrong way round, which will result in flue gases being drawn back into boiler.

Thats just a plain end of the pipe Chris, the Terminal length has a browm grill on the end which extends out of the end, you would clearly see it fitted.

Whats your opinion on how safe the boiler is to use in this condition.

daglesj where are you based.

ollski.

The flue is only 5m ish long they could have used a single twin flue, up to 10m less bends at 1m per change of direction

I still know a few BG subbies that would easilly put me to shame, so i appreciate that some of BG are genuine guys and gals (including you ollski), however this job appears to have been mis-sold(should be BBU replacement) and installed incompetently putting the home owner at risk at the min (it would seem).For price on this job, yes they probably have made a loss, deffinately will have by the time everything is rectified, thats if the op lets them re-do the work.

The guy who specced it up initially. Was very 'excited' by the 30Cxi as he said it was the only one that gave him the flue length required.

He kept going on and on about a 10cm drop for every meter or bend as though it was the most important thnig in the world ever.

In reality it seems that was all forgotten.

Oh yes and they said they had contacted GlowWorm to check if the install was ok as "this combi has only been on the market for about 3 or 4 months and we are not too sure!"

Apparently this isnt the case. If it is I'm dammed if I'm paying for their R&D/testing work.

it may have already been asked I am too fat and lazy to read it all, but surley you could have been excempted from PArt L being in a flat????

did no one talk to you about it?

I'd say without hesitation that the boiler should not be used - At Risk I should think.

The flue pipe appears to be leaking condensate, so the seal has probably been dislodged, so POCs could well leak into bedroom. Plus the lack of a fall on the flue back to the boiler, flue terminating immediately under air intake, etc.

It's a disgrace if it's been commissioned in that state. I sincerely hope that those responsible are made an example of (oops, getting into pompous old fart mode now). Seriously though, if they get away with that what's the point of the whole safety regime (Corgi, ACS, GWN, etc,) that causes us so much grief?

corgiman said:
it may have already been asked I am too fat and lazy to read it all, but surley you could have been excempted from PArt L being in a flat????

did no one talk to you about it?

I'm an ordinary Joe Soap. How can I challenge folks that can pull out a seemingly endless ream of building regs that seem to go totally against common sense, what I want and all seem to have been implemented since labour have been in power.

At the end of the day I'm over a barrell. I need a new system, they can supply it.

Its tough when its out of your sphere of expertise. I can build computers blindfold and could spec you up a brilliant PC. Would you know otherwise if I'd pulled a fast one or cut a corner? (thats assuming you know as much about building PC's as the average Joe of course)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back