I screwed up bottom of door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ok i screwed this right up,

the door was catching on the new carpit so i decided to take the door off few days ago and tryed just using sand paper it helped but wasnt enuff...

so took it off again today and got out the saw nd cut the bugga.
yea stupid i know, now theres a half a cm gap at the hindge end of the door.

i can even fit my fingers right under the door now. easily at the hindge end but not so much at the other end.

so whats the best way of fixing this?

friend said i should even out the door then stick a half a cm bit of wood on the bottom so it fits perfect.

id rather do something easyer which doesnt involve cutting any more off.

right now im thinking of taking it off again tomorrow then try sticking the bits of wood back on at 1 end then filling it with some wood filler then slap on abit of paint.

i know that sounds like a stupid way of doing it and id be better off doing it another way but its all i can think of doing with out heading to a shop to get some more wood or something.

im only 16 and my mum kinda told me not to touch the door but she was saying would be up to 3 weeks before she could get someone into do it and i thort id give it a try myself.
i realy rushed the job didnt even mesure it just had enuff with having to push hard on the door.

doorbottom.jpg

my mum still doesnt know iv cut it but im sure she will notice that the door is no longer catching and will notice the gap as she walks up the stairs.
so i guess she will find out.
i could ask if she can take me to B&Q and get 1 of them things for the bottom of the door which like brushes along the carpit as u close the door. have it on the door down stairs and i just noticed that also has a gap big enuff to fit my fingers under it.
im thinking that would be the best option to go for. would also stop the draft getting under the door which i have started to notice.

(whats the name of this type of thing?)

Sponsored Links
Have you still got the piece of wood you cut off? If you stick it back on, it will now be thinner by the tickness of your saw cut.

While the glue is setting, hold it in place with some panel pins tapped in just half way, so you can pull them out with a pair of pincers once the glue is set.

You may be able to do this quickly to avoid trouble. You can get a white resin wood glue at any hardware shop. The internal one will do - you do not need a waterproof glue. It may cost you a pound or so.

The better way to have done it would have been:

Mark the door with a pencil, run along the floor, to show where it is rubbing

Plane the bottom of the door (keeping it flat and square) using the pencil mark as a guide

Refit the door from time to time to see if you have planed enough off.
An alternative would be to fit rising butt hinges (these lift the door as it opens) but you need to take your old hinge with you, if you can get new hinges that exactly match the size and shape of the old ones, INCLUDING THE SCREW HOLES it is an easy fix.

"(whats the name of this type of thing?)"

A draught excluder.

Get a plane and plane the bottom of the door.

Don't try and stick the bits of wood back on - it'll look even more shoite.

Good luck.

Fred

Sponsored Links
mike101 said:
i could ask if she can take me to B&Q and get 1 of them things for the bottom of the door which like brushes along the carpit as u close the door.

It's just a draught excluder thingy. If you ask one of the B&Q monkeys, they should show you what you need.

I don't think it looks that bad really. Just get a deeper carpet for the whole house and your laughing...(although you may then need to trim all the other doors to match....) :LOL:

These things happen. I was once like you and look at me now: bodging things up at an olympic level!! :LOL: :LOL:

Does no body else hate it when the door scrapes the carpet and it leaves that door opened shadow, ???

The gap is not too bad, draw a pencil line so it's the same gap at the other end then shave it off with a plane.

Doh :oops: just seen JohnD post!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back