I think the motherboard is dead

That is rather warm. I would expect those CPU temperatures under load, the GPU is very hot if you're not actively loading it. It may be that you're not getting good contact.

Sponsored Links
I do hope you remembered to back up the data from your hard drive before you started tinkering.

I have JohnD.

I give up though. It's booting up, I can get into the BIOS but as soon as I try to do anything, it shuts down. If I let it load up to windows, it gets to the windows screen and then shuts down. If I try to start it in safe mode, it gets so far and shuts down. I can't run memtest because I can't get it to boot from CD and if I try to force it to boot from the optical drive, it shuts down.

It's getting the better of me. :evil:

Welcome to the joys of repairing hardware.

Get some pads for the GPU and NB, as it's possible you're not making good contact on them.

You may need to do stick-juggling with the RAM to see if you have one faulty stick.

While you're playing with all this, remove the HDD. Things can get very broken if you attempt to boot an OS on a system with faulty memory.

Sponsored Links
I had taken the hard drive out.

I need to see if the spare RAM I've got here is the same as what's in it. If it is, I can at least try that. I had switch the existing sticks over, taken one out, then the other and it did recognise that the amount of memory had changed.

Nuts to doing this for a living though - I'd end up launching customer's computers out the window.

Do I need to get any particular pads? Are there any that are better quality than others? I saw copper ones - no idea if this is better, worse or what?

Copper shims are for use with normal thermal material, but you must get exactly the right thickness.

These will probably be fine: www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181035944957

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Fab, thank you. I knew they came in different thickness but I'd know idea what thickness to get.

This is the point that I stand up in the middle of the group and say "Hi, I'm Alison and I'm a complete and utter plonker"

It's all working, up and running.

Stupid here hadn't got the new heatsink when I'd put the new processor in so I tried with the old one (which didn't cover the GPU), and it was switching off because the GPU was overheating majorly.

New heatsink arrived, fitted and it's working tickety boo.

Massive massive thanks for all the help.

There's quite a visible gap between the heatsink and the GPU but I'd no idea what thickness pads to get. I phoned Dell and once I'd been sent around the world, twice, eventually got somebody in England who told me that they would just use paste. When I said there was quite a gap, he said just to pack it in!! Don't get me wrong, it's not thick with it, but I put more on than the normal "half a grain of rice" size and it's contacting and seems to be OK. I'll get speedfan on it just so I can see.

I can't believe it's fixed!! I'm gobsmacked!

D'oh!

If the gap is sufficiently large that say, a steel rule can fit through it, you really want shims or a pad.

I don't think it's that big. I've been hunting and I think I've read that the shim size would be 0.08mm.

Still can't believe what a twit I was.....................

I don't think it's that big. I've been hunting and I think I've read that the shim size would be 0.08mm.

Eh, that's not too bad, you'll get away with paste in that.

Still can't believe what a twit I was.....................

Now imagine how many times I've done something silly like that. You'll feel better. :)

My eyes are crossing 0.5-0.6mm is the shim size. Came back to correct it but you'd got there first.

As long as I'm not alone.......................... :D

My eyes are crossing 0.5-0.6mm is the shim size. Came back to correct it but you'd got there first.

That, on the other hand, begs for a pad or shim, imo. Paste will dry up and crack over that gap over time.

On the other hand, it's working for now. Shims are a couple quid, usually.

I'd get away with those pads you found then? They were 1mm. I'll order them up. I don't know that I'm brave enough to put a shim in.

The typo was 0.8mm for my own GPU (Dell E6400)

Sponsored Links
Back