i thinkin about acs again

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys,
as some fo you may recall i sat my acs + modules the other year back but didnt manage to complete a portfollio in full(was one job short)

the course was via a private company called icon training who i went to see last week and they said my acs are void coz i didnt complete within three months of exams. this leaves me now looking at undertaking the course again but at bolton college.

im not sure of the current gas safe rules my pc will not open their pages, however i am aware i need nvqs.

can any one tell me the best way forwards for me now to being a gas installer and what will be required to gain the proper and valid certifications.

i am looking to volunteer work in order to get the jobs in if anyoen has any tips or advise it will be appreciated as i dont want to be left on incapacity benefits for long.

cheers

terry

Sponsored Links
I think that you can still be employed by a registered firm if you have the ACS.

I dont think that your ACS are void as such.

You need to find an employer and see if they can register you as an employee.

Tony

cheers tony
will check with icon that they hold the pass exams

ere you go from teh horses mouth at gas safe

no portfollio is required, just get my certs and i can get probationary registrations......

from icon training , we cannot send your certs as i did not submit portfollio to them to send to nic

nic didnt have a fecking clue as to anything about gas safes new regulations...

Sponsored Links
i have dealt with this before at a private training centre, so i THINK i'm right in saying: technically it is ok to train and be assessed, even with the college/centre saying they are happy you have done enough to be deemed competent as you are working towards completing your portfolio, but the paperwork will sit on a desk somewhere until a portfolio is completed and presented to the college/centre for verification (as if that happens a lot) the whole package is sent to certification body, after external verifier is happy your certificate is downloaded to holder of the register, and a certificate is sent to you.
so if you didn't complete the portfolio your papers must be with the centre, if they say you need to complete portfolio within 3 months get that checked at their certification body, not 100% sure if they should have allowed you to sit paperwork until portfolio was completed so if they bent the rules a bit for you they may not want you to contact their certification body, again not 100% sure but if GSR say you don't need a portfolio, thats OK but under old CORGI rules you needed a portfolio to be allowed to get certs so i think you might be stuffed, only my opinion but a private centre only want money so perhaps you could negotiate a discount with them to resit without training or something to allow you to complete, they will prob want you to do the whole course with them again for another wedge :cry:

Find out from the centre which is the certification body, contact the body, and ask them.
I wouldn't be surprised if different bodies had different criteria.
If you did the theory and passed the assessment, you should be allowed a fair amount of time to get the relevant practical experience under supervision of a RGI.

Find out from the centre which is the certification body, contact the body, and ask them.
I wouldn't be surprised if different bodies had different criteria.
If you did the theory and passed the assessment, you should be allowed a fair amount of time to get the relevant practical experience under supervision of a RGI.

i would have thought everyone would have been under CORGI and/or HSE criteria, or surely you would have private places having no criteria and advertising it well so that people went there and got certified quickly.

I meant different criteria in the way of how many jobs of what kind over what period of time, before they will accept you as "fully passed".
I seem to remember somebody mentioning 25 jobs, which would be an awful lot of work for a new entrant to do inside 3 months if they are not working for an installer, and do it off their own back.
Having said that, nothing surprises me at the moment with crapita "in charge" :rolleyes:

How do you mean one job short ..?? I had to get 80 hours filled into a gas diary but my assessors only sent off my ACS assessments to BPEC ie. CCN1 - Core, CEN1 - Boilers upto 70kw, CKR1 Cookers, CPA1 - Flue gas analysis, HTR1 - Gas fires,Space heaters and finally WAT1 - Water heaters. I then rang BPEC and got my details uploaded to gas safe then proceeded to pay em £420 squid and got my number over the phone just as soon as payment was taken. My 80 hours im sure was only part of my NVQ3, in fact I know that BPEC never saw my gas diary as it was still in my bag until last week lol and ive been registered with gas safe for a month or 2 now. They may well ask for it when im inspected but even so id look into it mate espesh if you've just paid for all your units.

i did my ACS at this center and a provision of this is that u are working with a RGI and compleate a portfolio.When done this is sent to NICEIC with you practicl and theory asessments and they send u a certificate back as well as informing the GSR that u are competant.ie no portfolio NO ACS even though u may have passed the exams and practical.
sorry to hear that m8 as i know how hard it was for me aswell as having to work aswell. Good Luck!

Probably grown up and had kids by now. Your nickname isn`t `Flash` is it?

as i dont want to be left on incapacity benefits for long.

If you are receiving incapacity benefits surely you are unable to work? or are you another reason why we pay exorbitant amounts of tax?
Scroungers turn my stomach.

Old thread but he`s probably claiming for Bi polar disorder now anyway. just thought I`d vent me spleen. Did I mention that I hate Benefit thieves? they are closing in, apparently. investigators that is. they`ve hired `Finchy` from `The Office` to do the voiceover. Every time I hear it I just imagine him doing that imaginary humping scene in front of `Dawn`, not gonna deter anyone is it?

another dole bludging parasite is all we need ffs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back