I was going to ask why nobody uses the search feature, but..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Most of the time, they don't need to, as there are similar threads on the front page that pretty much address the question they're going to ask.

It's bad enough with the recurring "how do I run power to my garage" merry-go-round, but now we have the seasonal "is it ok for me to run 3KW of xmas lights in my garden pond, off of six connected extension leads, if I cover each of the sockets with a tupperware box to keep the rain out" :rolleyes:

I suspect this thread won't survive the night but it really does amaze me that people won't search for the answer to their question before posting.

Rant over...

Sponsored Links
Hi, with the number of posts you reply to you must be knackered at the end of the day ;)

Regards,

DS

Huh?
You're not mistaking me for b-a-s, are you (it does look like something he would write :D )

Is it ok for me to hardwire an extension lead into my 100amp fuse and conect my garage up?

Sponsored Links
And why nobody ever looks at the WIKI….
I suppose many would call it 'lazy', but I imagine that one of the main reasons is that people tend to think that it is much easier/quicker to simply 'ask their question' of a knowledgeable human being than to (potentially) 'plough through' written material to find the answer.

I do the same myself. Even if I am sitting next to a pile of reference books (more likely on-line resources these days), if there is a colleague nearby, it is often much more expeditious to ask "do you happen to know .... ?", rather than to go through the motions of reinventing the wheel of finding that bit of information/knowledge for myself!

In the final analysis, there are very few questions which get asked, and answered,in forums like this which could not be answered by sufficient reading!

Kind Regards, John

Why should people look at wikis or search the forum, struggling to find their answer, when they can simply start up their own, tailor-made, thread - and just ask!?

Why should people look at wikis or search the forum, struggling to find their answer, when they can simply start up their own, tailor-made, thread - and just ask!?
Yes, that's really a paraphrase of what I said. Forums like this exist so that people can ask questions and (usually) get rapid answers from human beings - and no-one is forced to participate as an 'answerer of questions'. Very few people come to forums in order to be directed to reading material.

Kind Regards, John

I think you are assuming that people don't use the "search" facility, but there are numerous interesting threads that one gets side tracked by.

I would prefer to use this forum to seek advice and opinions as most "members" are either professional, sensible and polite. Wiki, can be manipulated and it's information should be not be treated as Gospel.

Guessing this is a bitch indirectly at the post I put up last night. I'm badly dyslexic and find it bloody difficult reading through all the wiki stuff, as well as that I couldn't find any threads that help with that question so I figured I would use the forum, you know, for it's intended purpose and ask the question

Guessing this is a **** indirectly at the post I put up last night. I'm badly dyslexic and find it bloody difficult reading through all the wiki stuff, as well as that I couldn't find any threads that help with that question so I figured I would use the forum, you know, for it's intended purpose and ask the question

I don't think this thread has anything to with you or your thread you made.

Surely there's no link between a garage wiring post last night and this one where he's having a go about people always asking about garage wiring

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back