I would like to extend ... I am confused

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Please I require some help.

We are in need of more space and thought that it will be cheaper to extend our existing 2.5bed semi rather than move.
The existing kitchen is small, the 3rd room is more like a box room.

A move to a different area will probably mean £150k+ mortgage increase. So thinking extending the property would satisfy our need for now and hopefully provide some additional equity to move at some point in time.

So ... I have been looking at some houses in the Area, downloading their plans from the planing portal to get ideas....

The idea is a 2 storey extension to the side to contain the new master bedroom (+ ensuite) at the top and kitchen/garage below. Maybe A single story rear extension to create more room for kitchen/lounge dining ...not sure

My problem is not having a clear vision of what I want or what layout will be optimal.

My questions are :-

1) Will an architect aid in my lack of clarity at this initial stage or i actually need to know what I want before involving one?

2) I would like to upload a mock picture of the current plan for you guys to give me ideas, please what software can I use to do the drawings?

3) moving Kitchen to the side extension rather than a garage means there would be no access to the garden, could this be an issue when selling?

4) Assuming I do have a rear & side extension and move kitchen to the rear, This would mean that waste & water would have to go under the side extension. Is that even possible/good?

cheers

Sponsored Links
1) Yes. An architect will be able to develop the brief with you.

2) Others can advise.

3) Yes. Definitely. The architect might be able to help with this too.

4) Possible? Yes. Good? Again, ask a designer to advise.

1) Unless you have some mad Grand Designs in mind a good architectural technician one-man-band type is all that will be required.
2) Skecthup is easy and good fun (and free) or you know that old fashioned thing ....... a pencil and paper.
3) Possibly, depends if a future buyer would find it a nuisance and be put off.
4) Generally not a problem per se.

Sponsored Links
If your house has a shared sewer and has any houses upstream of it then you'll need a build over agreement from the water board. You should also get comfortable with t he idea that future sewer works may involve digging the floor up inside your house

Sketch up is a great modelling software, I started in it just to draw a vague plan, and ended up making an incredibly detailed model of my build down to the millimetre. This was mighty handy because I could try stuff for size and work out exactly how big things had to be (always an issue when converting an existing building) but it was quite a learning curve to get to that level of proficiency and it was definitely a few hundred hours use. Start by watching this video, it's 7 minutes of your life and will give you a good idea of where it meets your needs.. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gsfH_cyXa1o

I don't see why cutting the garden off should be an issue, after all it applies to the majority of terraced houses.. Just think about your bins!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back