ICOS HE15, HE18, HE24

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I AM IN RENTED ACCOMODATION FITTED WITH ONE OF THE ABOVE BOILERS. MY LANDLORD HAS A ON GOING PROBLEM WITH IT DESPITE 4 DIFFERENT PLUMBERS AND SEVERAL ELECTRICIANS HAVING ATTEMPTED TO RECTIFY THE PROBLEM.
THE PROBLEM MANIFESTS ITSSELF AS FOLOWS:
THE BOILER IGNITES AND DISPLAYS THE NORMAL STATUS "C" AND CONSTANTLY LIT BOILER LIGHT, THE BOILER WILL THEN 0PERATE FOR RANDOM AMOUNTS OF TIME BETWEEN 15 MINS AND SEVERAL HOURS BEFORE DISPLAYING F/L (FAILED TO LIGHT). ALL ATTEMPTS TO RESET AND RE IGNITE THEN FAIL, RESULTING IN ME SWITCHING ALL POWER TO THE BOILER AND PROGRAMMER OFF. AFTER SEVERAL HOURS BOTH PROGRAMMER AND BOILER ARE TURNED BACK ON AND THE CYCLE REPEATS ITSELF I.E. IT IGNITES WORKS FOR VARIOUS AMOUNTS OF TIME THEN DISPLAYS F/L.
THE BOILER HAS HAD VARIOUS BITS AND PIECES REPLACED INCLUDING THE MOTHER BOARD. THE LATEST ATTEMPT AT REPAIR HAS INVOLVED RE ROUTING THE CONDESATE DRAIN STRAIGHT OUT OF THE BOILER INTO THE KITCHEN SINK. SORRY TO SAY ITS MADE NO DIFFERENCE.
THE PROGRAMMER ALSO SEEMS TO BE PLAYING UP I.E. ON SWITCHING ON THE POWER THE HOT WATER SIDE OF THE PROGRAMMER IS SOMETIMES COMPLETELY DEAD ONLY TO INTERMITTENTLY SWITCH IN AND OUT SEVERAL TIMES BEFORE DECIDING TO WORK CORRECTLY.

DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEAS :!: :( :(

Sponsored Links
do you get any water from the rerouted condensate pipe when the boiler is running. and if so how much.

There has been a safety issue regarding insulation boards dropping down which could cause l/f fault get landlord to call in a htg eng who can diagnose faults on boilers

Sponsored Links
Landlords love to call "plumbers" to fix their boilers rather than boiler engineers.

Its very rare that landlords ever call the manufacturer's engineers or British Gas!

Funny that, I wonder why?

Could it be that they think they are saving money?

Tony

THE LATEST ATTEMPT AT REPAIR HAS INVOLVED RE ROUTING THE CONDESATE DRAIN STRAIGHT OUT OF THE BOILER INTO THE KITCHEN SINK. SORRY TO SAY ITS MADE NO DIFFERENCE.

its made the boiler classed as immediately dangerous for terminating the condensate inside the house for a start.

have they changed the electrodes? that usually sorts the problem if the condensate isnt blocked.

its made the boiler classed as immediately dangerous for terminating the condensate inside the house for a start.

Thats an interesting thought!

Is that from CORGI or BG ?

A lot of boilers have the condensate connected to the kitchen waste pipes. ( Including a BG installed one a few hundred yards away from me here! ).

Tony

if the condensate goes into a kitchen waste pipe then the boiler siphon requires a float to prevent p.o.c entering the household.

if the condensate goes into a kitchen waste pipe then the boiler siphon requires a float to prevent p.o.c entering the household.

so what does the water trap do?

when the trap is emptied a float blocks the outlet until the trap has refilled. a boiler running at high temp may take a while to fill the trap in which time p.o.c could enter the house if condensate discharge damaged/incomplete

Several manufacturers specifically state do NOT connect the condensate directly to a waste pipe etc. and they insist an air break is required to prevent the possiblity of back flow into the boiler. It is down to each test house and their moral obligation on safety. For most they do not require floats/sense wires or such like devices to prevent backflow...just a 75mm water trap. In addition although a syphon is sometimes fitted (to help prevent freezing) as part of the trap there is also no legal requirement.

Personally the regulations should require manufacturers to prevent backflow into the boiler (the air break is unsafe) and lockout the boiler as soon as backflow/blockage is detected.....they just do the bare minimum as usual :rolleyes:

A lot of boilers have the condensate connected to the kitchen waste pipes.

he didnt say anything about the kitchen waste pipe. he said its straight into the kitchen sink.

The point being that several manufacturers are quite happy for the condensate to vent to the internal space (and their boilers were approved in that manor). Therefore Ideal may only classify it as NCS but clearly it requires plumbing back into the waste pipework. I assumed the condensate draining into the sink was left as a temporary measure to rule out pipework blackage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back