icos m3080 (yup i know)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi y'all

joined here to do abit of reading on how to plumb in the shower pump i bought to up the pressure of my shower. since joining i've started getting probs with my boiler. ideal icos m3080.
after doing some searching and reading i have seen that they aint the best in the world.
so whats happening is when it goes to fire up it will try to with a bang, and doesn't start heating, will do this about 3 times then i get l,f fault. after talking to a plumber (who doesn't know about boilers) and having a think it seemed to be that there was trapped air in the system and thats why it wasn't firing.
drained the system fully then refilled bleeding all rads and pipes into hottank etc and opening drainvalve above the boiler (which is on the return feed to tank) after doing all that fired it up and woohoo it was working hot rads and hot water... ace. that was friday, ok all day sat, then tonight (sun) its started banging while trying to fire up again, gave everything a quick bleed, still doing it... am i gonna end up calling bg or am i missing something..

tia

al

Sponsored Links
I know almost nothing about Ideal boilers other than taking them off the wall on the way to the skip (the later ones at least).

The problem you describe is likely to be an ignition problem commonly caused by faulty/damp electrodes. It is probable they dried out while you were draining and refilling.

Now the boiler is up and running again the symptoms will return more frequently.

You will need to call a gas fitter.

Some Ideals, such as Responses, commonly suffer from all manner of ignition/rectification probs and can be a pain forever, particularly we have found if the flue is longer than a few metres......

Ignition electrodes are very susceptible to warping so the electrode gap gets too big and won't spark correctly.

When was the last time it was serviced and more importantly the condense trap was cleaned thoroughly?

emptied condensate trap on fri when i totally emptied sys,
was serviced early last year before we bought the house and they were on a homecare plan and had paid up front so said bg would get in touch to do the next service, we were having a baby at that time so were busy and it never crossed mind to ring them when they hadn't rung us.
strange thing is tho after i drained and refilled it fired first time and that was it for 24 hrs no thundering or anything it was on the sun after it hadn't been on over night that it seems to have gone again.
from outside thru the flu it sounds like it aint got water in it bubbles and farts when firing...
think i'll just get BG out. could spend ages and money on trying to fix it myself and i'm a satellite person not a gas or water person.
thanks for answers tho, (skip answer is as common as faults i think lol)

Sponsored Links
The bubbling etc sounds like a blocked condensate trap. Why would you have removed this from the boiler when draining down?

Are we talking about the same thing, lower pcb and the sump is to the left of the gas valve, with awkward screws to remove and plastic 3/4 nut behind it to remove.

If it is this you removed did you fill with water and keep shaking it to get all the gunk out? Just emptying it once is not enough to clean it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back