Ideal Classic Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

The CH pump (Grundos 15-50) has been making strange noises for the past couple of months, gurgling when it starts up, then sounding like the valve is fluttering (vibrating high pitched).

The other day when i tried to run the hot water, the water ran cold, and the boiler didnt start up.

What im wondering is, if the ch pump is not pumping (eg broken), would this stop the hot water from working? I put my hand on it whilst checking the system, and it was really hot, warming up the pipes a few inches either side - with the pipe 6 inches away cold, so it must be kaputt.

I dont know much about heating systems, but i think i remember reading that the tank central heating pipes go through the boiler, then the water goes into the big tank with lagging (cant remember the name) and then the hot water pipes run through the hot water which heats them up.

So my obvious thought is to change the ch pump. Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
It may be jammed and need spinning!

However, its more likely to be a water problem, F & E tank ot blocked feed pipe.

You may be better getting in somebody competent but you could read all the FAQ on this site first.

Tony

Theres a plumber down the road who will pop in tomorrow to give me a quote to change it (if its not a simple fix), so ill get the boiler serviced too while hes here. Heading to the FAQ's now, cheers!

Sponsored Links
Problem solved...there was no water in the central heating system!!!

Due to a leak, the people who used to live here turned the supply to the tank in the loft off..so the system wasnt topping itself up.

Yup..feeling a bit foolish now!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back