Ideal Classic HF60 boiler driving me mad

pma

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help please.

I have an Ideal Classic HF60 boiler (not condensing or combi on Y plan system) inherited with the house, probably maximun 10 years old that has been reliable and appears to work fine when it does, but intermittantly I notice there is demand for HW/CH (neon on on PCB), but the boiler isn't firing up. I also notice that the thermostat neon behing the knob is not illuminated.
However, if I then turn the power switch off and leave it for a few minutes, or even switch off the demand from the timer and then turn on again, the boiler will fire up. Sometimes I may have to wait a while before I can sucessfully do this (until the boiler cools down??)
Eventually I can always get the boiler to fire up. As expected the neon behind the thermostat knob will then be illuminated.
The boiler may then function normally for a day or two or may decide to be difficult almost straight away. There seems to be no rule but the probelem seems to be worse when there is demand dor HW. The boiler seems to be more reliable with CH only. I have an Albion thermal store which has been brilliant. Could the Tank Thermostat be a problem.

I have replaced the flue fan and the pressure switch, more as a matter of elimination. Made no discernable difference.

I have also just had it serviced and as expected it has made no difference.

My thoughts are possibly problem with either PCB or NTC thermostat sensor(what is that?)

Or could be something entirely different

Anyone any similar experiences, idea or thoughts on the matter????

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Its difficult for me to come to any conclusion from what you have said regarding the possible fault.

However, I cannot help thinking that with a new fan and a "service" that you would have been better getting the real fault diagnosed professionally at the beginning instead of changing parts without any real reason to do so.

Tony

aww tony you spoil sport, its much more fun seeing how many parts he would change before he called in someone who actually knew what he was on about

you party pooper you ;)

I like seeing how much joe public will spend in the name of "saving money on a rip off plumber" before they finally realise we aint all rip offs

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back