Ideal Classic NF260 boiler problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I stumbled across your site while looking for a solution to an Ideal Classic NF260 boiler problem.

Our boiler is situated in the garage ... from inside the house you might never know there is a problem ... it heats the water, timed for 2 hours in a morning, and the radiators heat up when the timer kicks in.

We noticed the water was cooler than normal the other day and having had a seized fan on a couple of occasions assumed it had happened again ... normally a matter of lubricating the fan bearings and it would run trouble free for another year or so.

It wasn’t the fan.

On checking, the boiler is only running half it’s time.

It will start normally, run for just over a minute then stop for about a minute then start again only to stop again after the minute is up.

I timed this happening for 17 cycles. The off period is quite precise at around 57 seconds, and the running period about 1min 5 seconds.

I don’t know if these times are in keeping with the ignition detection system ... or is it something else?

Thank you for your help.

Ray

Sponsored Links
We dont advise DIYers to open the combustion chamber!

Short cycling is usually a pump/flow problem.

You need to measure flow and return temps on the boiler.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Thank you Tony,

I'm blessed with a fully qualified plumber next door, while he'll have fitted 100's boilers, their faults are always solved with a new one.

Regarding the flow the pump is on number one, I'll give it a try on two.

Ray

Because the web site sometimes does not correctly speedily reply to my posting I can end up with multiple posts all the same.

I usually edit those to "oops" and hope a mod will delete them to tidy up the site!

Tony

Tried the boiler from cold this lunchtime.

Pump set on position 2

Ran for about 20 minutes none stop.

Radiator temp around 60 degrees

Outlet and inlet on boiler reading 60 and 50 ... bit hit and miss using Raytek Mini Temp on copper pipe.

Then it started cycling off and on :(

ON for 1 min 5 seconds then OFF for 56 seconds, as regular as clockwork several times.

Any more ideas would be gratefully received.

Thank you

Ray

That sounds abut right for a boiler with no anticycle at this time of year!

Thank you Tony,

Does it sound OK including the cycling on and off?

It sometimes starts cycling from cold when it couldn't be affected by the boiler temperature.

Is the 1 minute 5 seconds running time before it shuts off significant, could it take that long for a boiler to check if the burners are lit?

Are some boilers fitted with an anti-cycling device?

Since turning the pump speed up from 1 to 2 the radiators are hotter than they have ever been ... about 65 degrees ... we have no thermostatic valves fitted ... if we wanted to adjust the radiator temperature would it be a matter of turning the dial down on the boiler ... it's always been set on full (6)

Ray

Because the web site sometimes does not correctly speedily reply to my posting I can end up with multiple posts all the same.

I usually edit those to "oops" and hope a mod will delete them to tidy up the site!

Tony

You could try to stop hitting the 'submit' button repeatedly when your pc, or this site is running slowly?

You 'hope a mod will clean up after you'..... you child. :rolleyes:

OP - Boiler sounds fine to me, but im not about to tell you I cost 84 sheets to repair it. We have our own man on here who does that - and berates others from giving advice. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back