Ideal Icos Gas Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The above Ideal Icos boiler was installed in my home by the previous owner a year before I moved in and had an annual service one month before I moved in.

Within 10 months of me moving in [when the boiler was 19 months old], it broke down, leaking water profusely. I have had two engineers look at it and both have basically said it is uneconomical to repair, the suggestion being that the heat exchanger has broken down. I have also been made aware of problems with this particular boiler and understand that mine is the boiler sold after the original version was recalled.

I have been advised to have a Potterton Promax SL15 gas boiler installed in place of the Ideal one. Does anyone have any comments about this boiler [ie is it any good in terms of reliability?] and/or is anyone able to give me more information about the problems I have been told about in relation to the Ideal Icos Boilers?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
personally i'd fit the Vaillant Eco plus 415. Much better bulid quality. An german, as much as we don't like em. There bloody good engineers. :( As for the (far from) ideal's. There an gas fitters/engineers nightmare. My previous firm insisted they were fitting by the installation guys. That was until the recieved the maintence bill from us to the tune of nearly a million quid over two years. They had bolier's fresh out the box that don't work. From the response through to the icos/isar range the heat exchanger have been ****e!!!! heat pads collasping inside them and cusing airways blockage. 50kg sharpnall bombs!! Overgassin themselves and blowing teminals several hundread feet from property. i could go on and on and on and on..... :LOL: Get rid fast

Stick the Promax on the wall next to the Icos then see which one breaks down more....the Promax is a pile of junk.Search the forum..it's full of design faults and the heat exchangers are flawed.

You dont expect a boiler to become unrepairable at 19 months.

Call Ideal for a fixed price repair and if they dont, then complain that they are not fit for the purpose.

If that does not get you anywhere, I will gave you a name to try ( if he has not retired! )

Tony

Sponsored Links
Ideal will not cover the HE on a fixed price repair. Where is it leaking from?

Thank you for the replies. So the Potterton Promax appears to be no good also. The problem is that I have been told by British Gas salesman that the only boilers they do that will fit in the existing kitchen unit and without adapting the connections is the Promax.

I have been in touch with Ideal who have said they will repair for £210 or not charge me if the boiler is beyond economical repair. Problem is that I have no confidence in them or their boilers and BG have been out and had a look now. As I am pretty sure it is the Heat Exchanger, I anticipate that Ideal will say they cannot repair and I will be back to square one.

I don't know exactly where the leak came from but the bottom front panel was saturated with water and BG say that it is probably the heat exchanger.

I have concluded that I have no option but to replace. Apart from the valliant does anyone have any other recommendations for a good reliable boiler. Also roughly speaking what would it be reasonable to be charged for supply and installation? I appreciate different boilers cost different amounts, and there will be regional variations, but a ball park figure would assist. BG have quoted me £2400 to supply and fit the Promax. This includes a 12 month repair/servicing contract.

Many thanks.

For the Ideal repair you have nothing to lose.

Even if they say its beyond repair then you threaten to take them to court for selling a product which is not of merchantable quality.

Dont spend your money on replacing the boiler.

Ideal will be pleased to sort you out! If they dont then just tell the world on here!

Ideal do have a conscience ( deep down perhaps ) but do let them try!

Tony

to be fair £210 isnt a bad price but you wonder what will go wrong next. in your position i would do it and take my chances.

dont fit a promax. they can be trouble.

a glow worm ultracom is a reasonably priced boiler or a vaillant ecotec if you want the best. The ideal will let u down time and time again-get rid asap! (both come in combi or heat only variants)

Thank you for the replies. I have no confidence in Ideal, but the alternative is going to be so costly that I think I will contact Ideal and try to go down the £210 repair route. Worse case scenario at least I have an idea as to which boilers to look at [and which to avoid].

Many thanks.

if ya do get it repaired id put the boiler on service/repair contract with bg or eon, they are design faults with the insulation pads which can be dangerous and they are forever breakin dwn (norm the pcb which is around £200)

Pcb for £200 :rolleyes: I charge £310 fitted ;)

I think he meant trade price to buy approx £200.
The hex is actually quite robust on Isar and icos boilers unless they are dry fired which can damage the end panels on the left side.
I would adv him to get an ideal engineer to call as it may be a blocked condense problem or a condense seal at the flue manifold or the auto air vent as these can be damaged by dry firing on isar and icos system boilers(the heat only dont have any)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back