ideal isar -lights with a bang!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anybody come across one of these boiler making a bit of bang as it ignites?Can see the spark coming off the electrode b4 it ignites and it looks like a very spark tbh so have oredered a new one,not sure if it is the electrode though or the board not giving it enough power-no manual there plus no phone signal to check with ideal-is this a common problem with these boilers?

Sponsored Links
Have you x-ray vision then :eek: You can't see the spark electrodes when all in place for safe working.

Check your working pressure is correct at meter govenor first.

Remove the small plastic pipe off the right of the gas valve and check for water in it and empty if needed.

Spark electrodes are prone to warping on these so the gap gets too big.

On this model of isar-a pretty new one,about 2 years old-(condensing/lpg/system boiler)there is a window on the combustion chamber whch u can see electrodes through,oblong shaped burner is bolted to top of this with fan on the left/gas valve on the right and about twice the size of an average boiler-there is no pipe on the gas valve and pressure was low(24mb) but had the govenor on tank replaced and it is now 37mb,Looked on ideal website and they only show details for the isar He boiler which this is not.When gave parts center the model number of the biler they said there was no such thing! think it was something like isar 460p from memory.

Well its a new one to me. Never heard of an Isar that will do LPG, let alone has a sight glass :eek:

I only know the HE versions :confused:

460p sounds more like one of the latest Ideal Classic boilers to me.

Sponsored Links
il get exact model number and a pic when i go back next week-cant find anything like it on the net anywhere but was deffinately badged up as an isar.Bottom 1/4 of from panel hinged down off a magnet catch-panel behind this was a navy blue clour with a burner on/off switch to the right,and red led display and a couple of buttons for reset etc by it on the left hand side,although manual was in english could it be a european model??

Isars don't have hinged down panels, not UK ones anyway.

Still sounds like a Classic 460 to me :confused:

if it is the type with cvbc [ red box ] ongas valve they can be prone to missing a spark and causing explosive ignition this type appears on many other boilers also as previously mentioned ignition electrode could be faulty

I think the first Isars did have a viewing window!

I remember seeing the first one I fitted where the weak mixture caused the flame to dissapear down the heat exchanger.

I had one hell of a problem getting it sorted out. They refused to let me talk to the design team and they insisted I had their engineer. He was a muppet and said it was the fan, didn't have one of course but they sent one the next day. No change! Eventually they did send the design team man who agreed with me as to the fault and we fixed it in three minutes.

Tony

As I said it was a weak mixture.

I wanted to correct it but the MI were adament that the installer must not touch it.

My attempts to speak to the design team to get authorisation to adjust it were totally refused. I was very disappointed with the totally unhelpful attitude of their staff whose only response was to arrange a muppet engineer visit three days later. He did not even have a spare fan with him.

The muppet Ideal Engineer wanting me the change the fan wasted a further day and the customer was without proper DHW for about nine days.

Eventually a guy I had met before from the design team came together with their Regional Technical Manager.

It turns out the boilers were only tested on full power and that they modulate but NOT on mimimum power when the mixture is most critical.

Tony

i had got the model wrong model is actually w60p-although the boiler was badged up as an isar ive actually now found that it is and ideal imax boiler!

I think thats quite recent and may still be under guarantee ???

It might still be a sticking governor.

Tony

Ideal are currently reviewing all isars for faults with explosive ignition, been installing them for the council and had one blow the front off(another installing team on the same job). Came as no surprise to the reps or to my corgi inspector when we were telling them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back