Ideal Logic Combi 30 - No heat or hot water & overheat c

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, please can anyone help before I throw my boiler out of the window?

My Ideal Logic Combi 30 boiler is 18 months old. It's been playing up for the last 3 weeks (heating not coming on & no hot water) but I could usually get it to reset (takes 10-20 attempts).

Friday I woke to find the heating hadn't come on and no hot water. Boiler is showing error code L1 - lockout overheat. The boiler doesn't reset and emits an irritating loud hum through the night - I don't know if I should just turn the boiler off at the plug?

I've so far had 2 gas registered engineers look at it - one did a full service and diagnostic check but couldn't find a problem, the other just re-set the boiler, said it was fine and left.

If I can get the boiler to re-set, the heating comes up to temperature, the boiler clicks off and when the room temp goes down the boiler doesn't come back on - it just goes into L1 mode. I can't then get the boiler to reset (I tried for 15 minutes last night).

The heating doesn't come on at all in 'run' mode - it only comes on when the thermostat is on 'constant on'. The water only comes on when the boiler is on.

The radiators have been bled, the pressure seems to be ok (it's over 1 bar and isn't dropping). The thermostat is on 20 and water is on maximum.

Someone has said it could be the pump, the fan, the circuit board?

I'm going through my insurance so at the moment cost isn't an issue - I'm covered for call outs and parts. I just want some heating!!!!

I'm really cold and miserable. I know it's not the end of the world but it's really starting to get me down that no one seems to believe me when I say there's a problem with the boiler.

Can anyone help??

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
I dont understand whats going on.

You have a 1.5 y.o. boiler and thats well within the maker's warranty period.

Yet you are claiming on some kind of insurance?

Surely all you need to do is call ideal under the warranty?

What does the installer have to say?

Who chose an Ideal anyway?

Tony

Hi Tony - I'm driving straight back to my house now!!! I am at my Mom's because I can't stand the cold at mine.

Should the boiler still be under warranty? I assumed this ceased after 12 months. I've got 24/7 emergency call out on my home insurance so I've gone through that. They've been useless.

Actually, you're right - I should have contacted Ideal first, it's virtually a brand new boiler.

I'm furious that I'm being fobbed off.

I'm on my way home now to get the boiler manual & contact numbers for Ideal - I'll update you later.

Sponsored Links
Have you complied wth these???

These long warranties sound good but its easy for the maker to get out of them unless the owner is very careful!

2. The "Benchmark" commissioning sheet must be completed by the installer and left with the boiler for reference purpose.

3. The warranty will commence from the date of installation. Without proof of purchase ie an invoice or completed "Benchmark" commissioning sheet, the warranty will commence from the date of manufacture as detailed on the appliance data plate.

4. To qualify for the full seven years of the warranty the boiler must be registered within 30 days of installation and be serviced annually by a competent person. Should either of these conditions not be met the period of warranty will extend to only 12 months from installation and not seven years. (If clarification is required please contact us on the numbers set out below.)

The Logic came with 2 years parts and labour warranty, as long as benchmark completed and a service has been undertaken on it's 12 month birthday, and the service schedule has been filled in and signed.

The Logic Plus came with 5 years Parts & Labour warranty as long as all the above has been done.

Mike

I called Ideal and they have been very helpful and sent someone to have a look. The engineer replaced the pump and the signaller (it's a remote thermostat with no wiring). He gave the boiler a thorough check and the CH & water were working when he left.

Came home from work....house freezing and no hot water again. The boiler didnt come on this mornning either and burner is not lighting in the 'run' programmed mode again.

Boiler is not re-setting using the dial. I'm having to re-set at the wall. The boiler is not recognising the signal from the thermostat. Took an hour of switching the boiler off and on to get the CH red light on.

Then, re-started the boiler until 8pm tonight. The boiler makes a loud whirring noise and the burner goes off again. No error code, status 'c'.

I can't keep taking time off work and am starting to lose the will. Does anyone have any ideas what this could be?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back