Ideal Mini c28 boiler pressure loss

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

My Ideal Mini C28 has recently started losing pressure. Cold pressure is set to 1 bar, when running this increases to just over 2 bars. It is discharging water from the overflow and within a day the cold pressure drops to 0.5 bar.

Also, it has a tendency when running to cut out, then start up again after a couple of seconds. I'm not sure whether these 2 problems are related or not. There is no issue with radiator temperature or hot water unless the pressure falls too low. Then it wont fire up but just cycles round starting up and cutting out.

I'm wondering if this is a pressure vessel fault.

Informed assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Charles

Sponsored Links
Overflow ? Are you referring to the pressure relief pipework ? Water shouldn't come out of that until your system pressure reaches close to 3 bar ,not 2.
Does pressure ever reach 3 bar ?

Hi 2.5 bar as far as I can tell, then drops to 0.5 bar when boiler cools down after discharging water from the pressure relief pipe. I've ordered a replacement expansion tank.

Just thinking out loud:
Most likely is surely the PRV (pressure relief valve) not reseating properly? Then it will pass water - faster as pressure rises.

Likely caused by the expansion vessel (EV) having lost pressure since last service check? Failed EVs usually present water at the Schrader tyre valve, I believe?

A new vessel may well not fix the badly reseating PRV and even require a new PRV fitted?

Sponsored Links
As above ,the PRV will very likely need replacing,and the EV may just need recharging. Water coming out the EV's valve doesn't necessarily mean it's failed.

Water coming out the EV's valve doesn't necessarily mean it's failed.
Every day's a school day... how can water get into the air side of a EV membrane?

I am genuinely curious (from condensation of vapour in the recharge air ?).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back