Ideal Mini c28. CH not staying on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When i fire up the central heating, the boiler lights and runs but only for around 10 -20 seconds then the burner goes out. The pump sounds as though it is still running.

Hot water seems fine but i think i do need to replace the flow limiter as it does whistle a bit.

Could this be related to the CH not staying on or would this not affect the CH operation?

I would be most grateful for any suggestions as to what may be wrong.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Are you leaving the CH for at least 10 minutes to see what it does?

If it really does not come on then the built in diagnostics will indicate what it thinks is wrong. It helps to drill 3mm holes in front of the covered two LEDs but then the rear link on the link strip needs moving one position towards the front of the boiler.

Replacing the flow limiter ( or just removing the rubber ) involves removing the gas valve to gain access so we cannot recommend that as a DIY job!

Are you sure its that? Does the noise continue if you remove the power? Sometimes the flow restrictor defies all human efforts to remove it.

Tony

Thanks for the reply.

How do i get to view the diagnostic LED's?

I am pretty sure the flow limiter is what is making the noise. It has been doing it for a while.

Thanks

Are you leaving the CH for at least 10 minutes to see what it does?

If it really does not come on then the built in diagnostics will indicate what it thinks is wrong.

It helps to drill 3mm holes in front of the covered two LEDs but then the rear link on the link strip needs moving one position towards the front of the boiler.

Tony

As stated you either drill the holes and move the link or open the left cover and move a dip switch down and back again which puts it into diagnostic mode for a short while. Or instead of the dip switch you move the link.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Had exactly these symptoms recently on oneof these, though it wasn't the flow limiter being noisy.
CH 30 seconds, the same, not connected.
How many rads do you have?
Do they all have Thermostatic valves?

Are you sure its that? Does the noise continue if you remove the power? Sometimes the flow restrictor defies all human efforts to remove it.

Tony

Thats a simple enough test for the OP to do to see whats causing the noise.

Even the Biasi office dont know anout that one. It sounds more like a whine though.

Tony

The noise does continue even if there is no power to the boiler.

I have called the company that originally installed the boiler. My cousin actually fitted it as it was his business,but he has since sold his share to his partner who is coming to take a look this week.

One thing i have noticed is that when i switch the CH on, the return flow pipe coming into the boiler gets very hot very quickly.

Also today i gave it another go. The temperature gauge read 30 degrees. I activated the CH and it fired up the burner. As usual within 10 - 20 seconds it went out but the Temperature gauge was now reading 60 degrees.

Does this sound normal?

when i spoke to the plumber he says he suspects the pump may be on the way out. However he is coming to have a look anyway.

The whine is caused by the rubber in the flow restrictor becoming loose and oscillating at about 4 kHz in the water flow.

If this plumber thinks the pump is faulty then let him see what he finds, but dont pay for a new pump if ( when ) that does not fix the problem.

Tell us Tuesday night what he found and then if necessary I will tell you whats actually wrong.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back