Ideal Screen Size

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Been on a few websites to get an idea of screen size.

The viewing distance is between just over 11 feet to 12 feet.

But the websites vary wildly.

Toms Guide says 75" but 85" is the sweet spot.
Which? says 55".
Rtings says 79-85".
Panasonic says a 50" 4K TV should be viewed at a distance of 4 - 6.5 feet???

I'm plumping for 55". The current TV is 48".

Sponsored Links
Maybe I’m used to smaller screens but I’m 12’ from mine and that’s a 42”. Level with my eyeline too, not up on a chimney breast where I’d get a crick in my neck. A 55” at that distance would seem waaay too big in my mind.

I think you get pretty used to whatever screen you're watching tbh, at 12ft I think I'd be looking at about 70". We have a 55" with a distance of about 8ft I guess, I wouldn't mind if it was a bit bigger.

Maybe I’m used to smaller screens but I’m 12’ from mine and that’s a 42”. Level with my eyeline too, not up on a chimney breast where I’d get a crick in my neck. A 55” at that distance woukd seem waaay too big in my mind.
You're only saying that because Mrs Mottie threw cold water on you going bigger! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Sponsored Links
Have 65” at around 12ft , at previous home we had 55” at about 18ft both are fine . Brother in law has 85” at 8ft , but he wears glasses and contact lenses at max strength , so depends a little on your eye sight.

Thanks for all the replies so far.

This is what the current 48" TV looks like. Excuse the mess, we are in the middle of a big sort out.

IMG_20240204_210152_HDR.jpg

You're only saying that because Mrs Mottie threw cold water on you going bigger! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
I’m getting there a couple of inches at a time. ;) I should be up to a 50” one by the time I’m in my eighties lol.

at 12ft I think I'd be looking at about 70". We have a 55" with a distance of about 8ft I guess, I wouldn't mind if it was a bit bigger.

Have 65” at around 12ft

Mind you, you know what they say about a man with a big telly?

As has been said you will get use to whatever but mine is 55" and about 8 foot away but from what I was reading at the time of planning the room its best to have the tv centre slightly higher than your eye level looking at the screen. But NOT up above the mantle piece and please please put it on the wall not in the corner. The only reason we have a - put tv in the corner is from the old tv tube era when they stood out so much at the back.

When this tv packs in I will be getting a bigger one.

Maybe I’m used to smaller screens but I’m 12’ from mine and that’s a 42”. Level with my eyeline too, not up on a chimney breast where I’d get a crick in my neck. A 55” at that distance would seem waaay too big in my mind.

9 to 12 feet, depending upon where seated, and a 49" set, as above, make sure it's at eye level when seated - we find that adequate for our viewing. Larger would dominate, and turn it into a TV viewing room.

A quite small makerspace I went to had one they'd been donated, 108". Even from "far too close" like 6ft, you soon got used to watching it, and it felt quite normal. I mean I look out of bigger windows than that from closer than that.

Those who said you get used to whatever size are correct.

IMO, this whole "correct screen size vs viewing distance" thing has got out of hand. In the rush to publish some kind of guide, too many websites forget to mention that their size recommendation is based on seeing the extra 4K UHD detail vs 1080p when the source signal is top quality. For most of us, that means playing a 4K UHD disc, and a really good one at that.

1707132467827.png

How many people using these guides though will only ever play stuff from streaming sites? That throws a complete spanner in the works.

1707132607954.png

The picture quality from streaming 4K UHD isn't as good as 4K disc. Hell, it's not even as good as Blu-ray in a lot of cases. The benefits of HDR aside, streaming carries a lot of compression. And I do mean a lot. Much of the benefit of 4K UHD then is thrown away in order to keep the bitrate low enough that the data signal can reach the largest reasonable number of subscribers. That drives a horse and carriage right through the middle of any 4K screen size recommendation.

The bottom line here is that you don't need anyone's 'golden seal of approval' to buy a humungous TV screen. We never did when CRT projectors were the pinnacle of home cinema performance. The TV in someone's lounge might have been a 25" or 27" 4:3 CRT, but the projector would make an image on a screen at 84" or 96", that's 7 or 8ft.

1707135322411.png

Our best source before DVD arrived was Laser Disc. It was miles better than VHS, which is not difficult, but still not a patch on the picture quality of DVD when that arrived.

1707136092947.png

If you want a really big telly then go out and fill yer boots. It's your money so do as you please. The catch is that you'll see any picture warts and all.

Back in the late '90s we knew that Laser Disc wouldn't look as sharp on a 7ft image. That was an acceptable trade-off for the huge increase in screen size. Besides, there was nothing else to compare it to. Since then, video resolution has boomed. From 380 line Laser Disc we've gone through 576 line with progressive scan DVD, then 1080p Blu-ray, and now 2160p for 4K UHD. The thing though is that most of the other resolutions are still in circulation. You can have your Sky Q box set to 2160p, but much of the original content is no better than 1080i or even 576i.

I think you have to strike a balance between screen size and screen quality. Within any reasonable TV budget there'll be options between the largest screen possible or going for a slightly smaller screen but stepping up a rung in picture performance. IMO, that second option is the way to go.

Those who said you get used to whatever size are correct.
At about 11ft away, I am more than happy with my 32" 1080p HDR LG (beautiful with Blu-ray, and a reasonable pixel density).
Just as I was happy with my 21" wide-screen Matsui CRT, placed in exactly the same position, when I moved into the house 15 years ago! :)
Bigger isn't always better ;)

Just get whatever size you want.

Years ago when a 19 inch CRT was considered a high end luxury it was recommended 1ft away for every 1 inch of screen size.
It's all total nonsense.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back