Ideal Water Pressure?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My house is in a development of 4 finished last May09. The houses had significant draw down and there was a pressure problem recognised which was finally sorted a couple of months ago (Scottish Water were at a loss, we have the best pressure in the area at 6-7bar they couldn't figure it out. Turns out the connections from the 63mm pipe to the 25mm pipes were faulty and limiting flow), and suddenly we had brilliant pressure.
Now...the plumber who did the work on the houses has caused numerous problems through poor workmanship (we had 2 braided hoses to sinks pop during the frozen spells we had, Cairngorms winters- real ones, and the goon he sent to replace them didn't even tighten things like the plug linkages up after he was done), and the Trust and architect who built the houses are very aware of this. There were remedial works needing done to our multifuel stoves linked to the thermal store, and after the (new) plumbers were finished I came home from work and took a shower in a trickle of water...thinking WTF?
Hmmm...investigation revealed a PRV set to a paltry 2 bar attatched to the rising main. So, if the braided hoses are good for 15bar according to my screwfix catalogue, why have they turned the pressure down? I've emailed everyone including the other owners (2 of us have external taps, after winter was finally gone we turned the tap to the closed position and opened up the isolator valves, both of us had leaks from the output sides, I sorted mine myself...)
My gut feeling is that the limp wristed plumbers have not tightened things up and they are worried that if we use full pressure there will be leaks springing everywhere especially in places we can't see. Most of the pipework is some sort of plastic covered metal pie with crimped fittings at joints.
I've opened mine up to 4bar but can anyone advise what the optimum pressure is? It drops to 2bar with the shower on and flushing the toilet?

Sponsored Links
Most Unvented Hotwater syetms are pegged at 3-5Bar, I wouldn't consider this to be excessive, at 2-0Bar showers etc could be dissapointing ;)

2bar was worse than prior to the mains work being done! Having a thermostatic shower was an "option" when buying the place, 2 neighbours only have baths and one said the bath was cold by the time it was run.
The lack of response from anyone involved in the build speaks volumes, they know we will turn the pressure up and that'd be their way of wriggling out of incriminating themselves.
"professionals"? my a**e... :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back