Identifying a Glow-Worm back boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm considering having my back boiler in the living room replaced with a combi or system boiler in the kitchen. So, the boiler scrappage scheme appeals to me.

I'm having trouble identifying what boiler I have and so don't know if I'm eligible. No idea when the boiler was installed. If anyone has any idea what model this is and what the rating is, I'd be very grateful!

When I remove the plate at the bottom where you access the controls, the label simply states "Glow-Worm BBU lighting instructions"... No model number. The knob on the firefront says "Glow-Worm Coordinate G".

I looked at the Glow-Worm website in the "discontinued products" section and the nearest match I found were the "Co-Ordinate 45" and "Co-Ordinate 56" back-boilers. There is one obvious difference though, my piezo button is to the right of the thermostat knob, but the manuals for the Co-Ordinate boilers show it above the thermostat.

Unfortunately the boiler data badge that the Co-Ordinate manuals refer to has completely degraded over the years so is completely useless...

The controls at the bottom of the BBU:

The knob on the firefront:

The unit in place:

Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
lookds like the data plate is missing

the co-ordinate is the fire

its either a 45, 55, 65 boiler

Sponsored Links
your bbu is a coordinate aswell. A 45 or a 56. Makes no odds, its still band G.

Im in Bedfordshire, can I have the old boiler controls?

Dont get rid unless you wanna change your decor where the fire is!!
Parts are still available and you just cant beat a BBU with the exception of a Mexico!!

Parts are still available and you just cant beat a BBU with the exception of a Mexico!!

you might not beat a baxi BBU but gloworm BBU's are hateful things and a lot of the parts are obsolete.

OP, kill it now!

you might not beat a baxi BBU but gloworm BBU's are hateful things and a lot of the parts are obsolete.

OP, kill it now!

OP go with Nick he knows far more than i do (not a Joke or Dig).

The Capricorn and Majorca have an obsolete gas valve - still available, but a lot of RGI's cant be bothered to find one. (made my ICC) - All parts available for a coordinate. Repaired one last week - a new gas valve. (Made by S I T).
Keep it.

most of the heat ex's are obsolete now i believe.

doesnt matter anyway, they smell, get rid of it. :LOL:

most of the heat ex's are obsolete now i believe.

doesnt matter anyway, they smell, get rid of it. :LOL:
Yeah, the capricorn / majorca Heat Ex's are hard to get hold of.

Haha. Next time I service one, Ill tell them that. :D

Thanks everyone, I've never been so glad to learn that my boiler is inefficient and a pile of smelly carp! :LOL:

It's actually not bad in operation. Quiet and keeps the house warm. My gas bills are a little high, but not exceptional: £800 a year I think, and I've got a gas hob that I use daily. Not bad for a decent-sized 90-year old semi.

But, I'm planning a new bathroom that would be roomier if I can get rid of the tanks... and eventually I want to get the old fireplace reinstated. So, new boiler is the way to go. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back