IEE regs too complex?

Handyman said:
BR from Ireland: Your Collins Guide seems the best suggestion yet especially if it's based on the IEE regs. I will investigate further. Thanks.
I looked into this topic a month or so ago, and at that time the Collins book was badly out of date, and a new one on the way. Amazon has the details of both.

Other "experts" have suggested The Electrician's Guide to the 16th Edition of the IEE Wiring Regulations
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0953788512
Any comments on this? Will this tell me what I want?
No, it won't, at least, it won't tell you about "practical electrical installation principles in domestic dwellings". It does what it says on the cover. It is a (very good) guide to the wiring regs. To help you decide whether you want a copy for the reading room, you can view the text online at http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Book/1.1.htm If you do buy it, it might be nice to get it from TLC rather than Amazon as a "thank-you" for the website version...

EDITED 20040114142700 - corrected the TLC link above - the sentence full stop was being interpreted as part of the URL.

Sponsored Links
20 Junction boxes? Are you moving the CU?

Can compression fittings be used? (Crimps)

Sponsored Links
securespark said:
...The best way to extend wiring is always to use a proper junction box rated at least to the rating of the circuit or mcb (ie if a ring main circuit then 30Amps) this way, there will be no danger of overheating or any danger of direct contact (see regs) with live parts (like there would be with a terminal block). The only exception is if you are dealing with a high powered shower circuit (between 30 -50 Amps) I don't know of any junction boxes that are rated this high....

Service connector blocks are rated that high.

amtodd said:
20 Junction boxes? Are you moving the CU?

Not only can - I believe that proper crimps, applied with a ratchet tool, are the preferred method of joining cables.

ban-all-sheds said:
I believe that proper crimps, applied with a ratchet tool, are the preferred method of joining cables.

Sorry to harp back to my previous posts on practical interpretation of IEE regs, but this is a good example: Are crimps the preferred method of extending cables, or are they not? Is their use defined/recommended by IEE regs? What's the definitive answer?

If so, then this seems the perfect space saving answer. 30 quid on a ratchet crimper plus crimps must be worthwhile in saved time and hassle.

Must improve my english.

Question was meant to enquire if crimps could physically be joined, rather than do the crimps themselves fit. In some instances where there is limited play in the cables, getting the tool between the surrounding building, kit / cables etc. mean that they cannot be used, even when this is the preferred option of many.

I understand that compression fittings may be placed in areas which are not accessible (junction boxes may not). British Gas has for some time specified these as the only way to joint cables.

This looks like the one I have. If I were to be critical about the electrics section, I would say that the coverage of the consumer unit is a little out of date

Ah - sorry - I didn't read the title of your recommendation properly.

I'd been looking at their Wiring & Lighting book (not the full DIY manual), the current one dates from 1999, and there's a new one due out in a couple of weeks:

amtodd said:

You can not make a good connection using "Crimps" on solid core cables like 1mm2 - 2.5mm2, Crimps are better used on stranded cables, And the connections still have to be within an enclosure, :confused:

paulh53 said:
amtodd said:

You can not make a good connection using "Crimps" on solid core cables like 1mm2 - 2.5mm2, Crimps are better used on stranded cables, And the connections still have to be within an enclosure, :confused:

yes you can make good cnnections.. all my lighting circuits are done with them

Yes. TT ect are different types of earthing systems. Earth goes down the neutral to the sub station, earth stake outside the premises and earth is run with the power cable and neutral from the sub station to the premises. Any earth faults will always go back to the sub station via cables or the the earth/ground we stand on.

the connections still have to be within an enclosure

Yes, but perhaps they could be in the same enclosure, and potting boxes are available in many shapes and sizes, thus an improvement on 20 junction boxes.

can not make a good connection using "Crimps" on solid core cables like 1mm2 - 2.5mm2

No one I know tends to have much trouble with solid cores, and the only problems I have found is with extra low voltage, when they would get rather hot.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back