If a sparks found an old installation would they shut it dow

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want my house rewired but at the moment I don't have the £££ available to arrange this.

I need a new consumer unit installed and power from that to feed the workshop which I can afford.

My concern is that if I get a spark in and they start doing testing of the circuit they will find wiring that does not comply to latest regs, will they condem the installation and leave me without power. I suspect that the house needs some work doing but it is safe.

Sponsored Links
Leave current install as is.

Fit new 2way CU feeding submain to workshop.

When you rewire, the new CU will eat the old CU and the newer 2 way.

This way, all they will need to ensure is main earthing and main eq bonding.

Unless they see anything really dangerous, in which case they are likely to just run.

Electricians are not empowered to disconnect your supply.

And you are not required to have an instalation that is up to current standards (these change every few years, and houses are not rewired every few years).

As Lectrician says, your new CU however must be up to standard, and this involves testing or renewing main earth and bonding of the house, since the new CU will use it.

You might consider having a larger CU fitted with capacity for any additional work that you may need in the future. The cost of a larger plastic box and some fresh air is not much more than the cost of a small plastic box.

If the installation was really that bad the electrician would advise that's all he can do if no work is ordered.He should know the state of most of the important bits of the install before he quotes for the job!

Sponsored Links
I am actually - But I was being serious!

Missus in London with sis and mother-in-law to see a show, and I am home alone......on a Friday! The drinks cabinet may run dry......and I may not find my bed!

Should have gone out really, but got the good old cold thats floating around the country - So thought that "kill all germs" alcohol was a good bet.

:LOL:

It won't kill them, but instead will get them totally ****ed.

Then they'll swim round your bloodstream vomiting everywhere!!

Septicaemia, anyone?

;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back