If you were faced with this.........? (plastering/filling)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Fireplace.jpg

I had fun on Saturday angle grinding channels for some speaker cable I wanted buried. The fireplace used to have a gas fire in and when I removed it and the lovely floor tiles that had been put on the wall as a 'surround' this is the surface I am left with - a kind of hotch potch of various patching up efforts over the years.

My father in law and I fancy giving 'making it good' a bash. Obviously there are areas that need building up before 'skimming'. What products would the more knowledgeable recommend?

Its only a comparatively small area - would the best course be to level/sand off whats there (incl the old tile adhesive), PVA the area, use bonding coat for the areas that need building up and then use a finishing plaster for the remaining areas....?

What tools would I need to do that and can any of the actual muck be purchased ready mixed?

As always - your input (sarcastic or otherwise) is valued..... :)

Sponsored Links
Are you intending to keep the fireplace open or block it in?

Tex - the fireplace will be open but not used - I intend on putting some shelves in the fireplace to hold my AV equipment (Amp, DVD, Sky+) as I have a plasma Tv to mount above it (the bottom of the plasma mount is actually in shot).

At the moment I have a huge wedge of foam up the chimney which stops the major draughts but still lets some air circulate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back