Ignition Barrel Peugeot 306

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello there i have a peugeot 306 XLD 1.9 non turbo diesel
its an N reg (1996) never had a problem with it, but last night stopped the car and couldn't get the key out of the barrel, tried to turn the key again to re-start and it wouldn't turn, got it out of the ignition with a bit of a pull
when you push the hey back in it goes all the way (dosen't quite feel the same though) but can't turn the key .

Tried some wd40 in to the barrel, gave it a light crack with a hamer and a piece of brass, tried shaking the key and the steering wheel(as the steering lock is on) while i try to turn the key but still wont turn.

In my non expert opinio the barrel is knackered, but the problem i am having is that according to the haynes manual to remove the barrel you need to insert your key and turn to a certain position to release a pin which obviously i can't do.

Does any one have any ideas, my next plan was to hammer a screwdriver in with a hex on the shaft and get 12 " shifter and try to burst the lock to hopefully release the steering lock and hopefuly the pin to release the barrel.

Thanks

Ross

Sponsored Links
I think you'll find that the complete lock is held onto the steering column with shear bolts......and these usually have to be cut away with a hacksaw or angle grinder. You can try bursting the lock with a screwdriver (after all thats how cars were nicked in the bad old days) but you'll still need to get the lock body off the column.
John :)

you can try to chisel the shear bolts to remove the complete housing but the best way i`ve found is to drill out the lock once enough damage to the lock has been done you can turn the lock to accesory position to remove it, bearing in mind if you don`t have a new one to put in anyone can take the car if no immobiliser is fitted, if you do have an immobiliser, you`ll have to swap the blade over with the old fob to keep the chip,

Sponsored Links
Back