Peugeot 306 XRDT S Red - Won't Start, Turns Over Fine - HELP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When I tried to start my car this morning it would not fire just turned over. When I tried it again when returning home from work it was doing the same thing, however after the 3rd attempt with my foot to the floor on the accelerator I managed to start it. Turned the engine off then on again and started fine. Tried it again 4 hours later and same thing took 4 attempts but will foot to the floor managed to start it. All suggestions welcome as to what it might be.
I have only had the car a few months and one thing I have noticed is a clicking sound once the engine has been turned off. Also the radio is not the original and when I turn the ignition on sometime the central locking kicks in. They had also fitted an alarm to it so the original immobiliser is not in use.
Its an S reg peugeot 306 XRDT

Sponsored Links
Initially this sounds like an air leak into the system, or fuel is being allowed to drain back to the tank, and cranking the engine over eventually causes it to start.
Both can be attributed to the fuel filter system or rather its priming plunger....common air leaks around here do give these symptoms.
There is an electronic fuel shut off solenoid on the top of the injection pump but this doesn't seem to be the problem - but I'm always wary of immobiliser systems that have been 'bypassed'!
John :)

I would agree with John. Try pumping the primer until it goes hard before you try to start it, if it then starts OK it will be air ingress.

The injection pump on yours is probably armoured so you can't get to the fuel solonoid, it can be removed but you have to take the pump off to do it - so lets hope its not that.

Peter

Yeah, read the title and thought 'immobilser chip' but if its a deisal, and starting after several attempts and plenty of cracking i would go with airleak.

Once started, if you turn it off, does it start stright away?

When it finally starts to you get one cylinder firing, before the others then come in very shortly after? White smoke?

Upside is it can be a simple fix
Downside is it can be a sod to find!

All my 306's have been petrol, bar a hdi my parents owed for a while, but theres a lot of advice on the Pug306.net forums which might help identify common locations for leaks fi the garage cant find it.

Daniel

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your help it seems that it was the glow plugs so hopefully it will start tomorrow :)

We appreciate the feedback!
Faulty glowplugs give a very unhappy start, accompanied with chuffs of smoke and an unreliable tickover until the engine has run for a few seconds.
It was the 'foot to the floor' comment that threw me.
Anyway - a great motor, the XUD (thought I'd get that one in before Peter :p ) so good luck with it.

Yeah, I remember a clapped montego we had (perkins prima, not a patch on a XUD) that was a little slow to start, but as it was a scrapper we left it, untill the last glowplug died! Amazing how well it started on one glowplug but without the last one it really was a long cranking process to get enough heat into it to get it to catch.

Thinking about it, it think that old prima has a lot to answer for in terms of my stern avoidance of anything oil burning ever since!

Daniel

That's because it was a direct injection engine like the modern common rail ones and old tractors. My Hdi will start instantly without glow plugs even at below freezing. The Prima was a very good engine for its time, the fuel consumption was phenominal, its main drawback was the noise until they introduced the pilot injection, that quietened it considerably.

Peter

i have a 306xrdt p reg it will not start already changed glow plugs removed the stop solenoid on the injector pump cleaned the injectors but it still will not start! there is smoke out the exhaust when the engine is turning over i have also tried to tow the car still nothing anyone able to help out?

Sure, slacken off one of the steel pipes that go to the injectors......crank the engine over and fuel should squirt out big time.
If it doesn't, then its obviously a fuel supply issue which could be filters, shut off solenoid or injection pump.
Did you remove the steel pin from the shut off solenoid?
I hope the cam belt hasn't snapped!

removed the pin and spring got loads of fuel coming to the injectors checked the valves they seem fine last thing i can think of is compresion if its that im aswell buying an engine on ebay!

Have you checked that a 12v supply is reaching the glow plugs?
Engine compression isn't going to disappear overnight!

yeah glow plugs are getting a 12v supply! only other thing is that injectors are past it going to try scrappys and see if i can get a set of injectors! had the car started but it cut out with in a minute! cant understand whats going on with it! car was sitting for 3 weeks but was running perfect before then!

Sponsored Links
Back