Ikea kitchens

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone have one of these? How long have you had it? What was it like to fit? How is it wearing? We have a kitchen from a well known builders' merchant/kitchen supplier that's five years old, fitted by them, and falling apart, it's garbage. Think of an outfit that has almost continuous half price sales - that's them.

Partner and I disagree about what to buy. He says Ikea's price and 10-year guarantee are great, no service space at the back of the units isn't a problem. I say 'over my dead body' - I want cabinet construction that will last.

Any comments on experience of Ikea units would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
I think Ikea sell by name and not always by qualtity. Haven't had any experience of their kitchens but have not been impresed by other Ikea items when compared to similar items from other, often lower priced, suppliers.

We have just had a number of William Ball units fitted and the quality is very good but shop around for supplier / installer as the mark ups vary enormously between suppliers..

A mate of mine fitted his own Ikea kitchen units a couple of years back. So far, he's had no probs.

I think I'm right in saying that the Ikea base units are wider than other 'UK' ones due to the lack of service space at the back. If you do go and stand the units off with batons/brackets to make the space, the worktops you choose might be too narrow. I'm fairly sure that the standard practice with Ikea stuff is to run pipes at skirting level, in the void left by the legs.

I think. :confused:

Thanks for the input! The Ikea furniture in my home office is wearing o.k, but it doesn't get the kind of wear a kitchen will.

Running the water pipes along at skirting level is o.k. for incoming, but getting the drain pipes out would mean hacking the cabinets about. The new kitchen is in a room that's been a kitchen in the past with a layout that worked well, and the services are still in place. Fortunately, I've found a site referred to in this forum that looks like it has what OH and I can agree on - this is the best DIY forum I've found.

Thanks again

Sponsored Links
We love our Ikea kitchen :D

It's the free standing Varde kitchen and we've had it for 3 years now. It's quite a sturdy design with chunky solid wooden legs and frame.

We got around the problem of the pipes behind the sink by setting the unit forward and adding a narrow tiled shelf along the top the same width of the pipework. We took the back panel out completely and the pipes run low behind the unit and are boxed in when they appear at the other end.

The only problem we've had is the hydraulic, hinge mechanism which holds up one of the cabinet doors gave in so we went and got another one, I think for free ;)

That's a handsome kitchen, it's good to hear you're happy with it!

Now the OH and I have found a compromise I daren't lead him back to Ikea - bad karma - but thank you for the info :)

amandaclegg said:

It's the free standing Varde kitchen and we've had it for 3 years now. It's quite a sturdy design with chunky solid wooden legs and frame.

We got around the problem of the pipes behind the sink by setting the unit forward and adding a narrow tiled shelf along the top the same width of the pipework. We took the back panel out completely and the pipes run low behind the unit and are boxed in when they appear at the other end.

The only problem we've had is the hydraulic, hinge mechanism which holds up one of the cabinet doors gave in so we went and got another one, I think for free ;)

By a sheer stroke of luck I found out about the ten yr g.tee so I complained to Ikea about all the stay's sagging on ours and got sent 6 in the post, However it's pretty obvious that these cabinets need two dampers not one..The rest of the units are wearing well though

Cheers

Richard

amandaclegg said:

We have the same but it was in the house when we bought it. Very chunky and sturdy. You can alway add bits if you need them.

I think it's about 3-4 years old now but when we change it'll be for something a bit special........gulp!

IKEA Kichens are great!! I recently fitted mine with a beautiful oak worktop and black tempered glass doors! Good quality and stylish options available

So much cheaper than other places.... Why do kitchens have to be so expensive... Well they dont!! Because IKEA have made kitchen designing and fitting accessible to everyone!

Everyone always talks about absence of a service area at the back. But this is not a problem, because all you need to do is re-route the plumbing. Which is certainly less hassle than fitting the cabinets on a baton. That would make the kitchen look ugly!...

If IKEA did double glazing then I would be a life-long fan... Like kitchens they are expensive, but does it really need to be!??????????

We've got an Ikea kitchen - the Faktum with the Nexus doors, and some frosted glass doors, and a grey stone effect worktop. It all looks great. Was installed 18 months ago by the previous owners, and is still going strong. My only complaint is that the thing that connects the fridge door to the wooden door is not very strong. But I guess that's Whirlpool's fault, not Ikea's.

Are fantastic but their drawer/door units do not come premarked with drill holes (like Magnet's do) so it makes accuracy of drilling and measuring an immense arse!

Its my only fault find with their stuff! Plus its cheaper and better than what B&Q or homebase offer for greater cost!

amandaclegg said:

We have the same problem with ours on a Faktum cabinet. The gas hinge has lost its "oomph" and the door won't stay propped up. My husband keeps banging his head on the edge of the door. We bought it from Thurrock Lakeside and when we asked there about getting a new one we were told we couldn't have one - even if we paid for it.

If anyone knows where we can get a similar hinge to replace it, I'd be grateful.

I have noticed a change in the attitude at Ikea of late. They used to be helpful and although the collection dept. was chaotic they did their best to help. Now it seems a shrug and "take it or leave it" is more the norm. Victims of their own success, I think. Next time we are going to pay the extra for a mainstream kitchen company. It will cost more in money up front but we can't face the repeat trips for the out of stock bits etc. which cost so much time, petrol and aggravation.

just got a Homebase shaker cream kitchen fitted by my mate (a great joiner) and myself. Looks great, built well and service from homebase was fantastic

Damagedclydie said:
Are fantastic but their drawer/door units do not come premarked with drill holes (like Magnet's do) so it makes accuracy of drilling and measuring an immense a**e!

You could soon make up a drilling jig yourself to set out the hinges etc. from a few scraps to save a lot of measuring and marking.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back