Ikea kitchens

I'm planning on buying an Ikea kitchen in the next day or two so have been reading the comments here with interest. Although one did put me in an almighty panic!

Some pipework from the boiler is going to have to be hidden behind a set of drawers (as well as a wall cabinet which the boiler will be housed in) so was alarmed to hear that the cabinets fit flush to the wall especially as one part of a particular pipe stands 8cm proud of the wall!

However, I have been doing a bit of investigation and it seems that the drawer units come in 3 depths - 35cm, 45cm and 57cm - so I can just opt to go for the 45cm ones and leave the back panel off which will leave plenty of room for the rather large amount of pipes!

Well, I say that's what I'll do ... it will be my builder doing it for me!

Sponsored Links
I have just fitted my ikea kitchen. Overall i am impressed with the build quality, however, as you point out the fact that the carcasses go all the way to the back is not so good for pipes.

Worktop wise i got a numerar worktop. These are have square edges ie no radius. However water from the sink has already seaped between the edging and the laminet has lifted :mad:

Oh and if you are using their design software, watch out as the bloody thing will try and order stuff you dont either need or the wrong colour etc

I replaced the doors on my B&Q (cheap range) kitchen during it's refurb as the carcasses were still perfect.

Feel free to slag them off, but the replacement doors were bought in the sale and cost next to nothing. The whole thing including tiles for the floor and worktops was well under £500 and looked as if it cost much more. I will certainly be using them again.

However, I have been doing a bit of investigation and it seems that the drawer units come in 3 depths - 35cm, 45cm and 57cm - so I can just opt to go for the 45cm ones and leave the back panel off which will leave plenty of room for the rather large amount of pipes!

Are you sure they are depths and not widths? I know they do 40, 50 and 60cm wide units, which would appear to match with the measurements given above.

I might be wrong, but worth checking!

Sponsored Links
Thanks Cartboy. Yes, I've checked (and ordered!) and not only can you buy the drawers in different widths, but you can also specify which depth you want too.

We love our Ikea kitchen :p

[code:1]
DSC02123.jpg
[/code:1]

Things to remember.
The plumbing plastic waste fittings for the sink units are NOT uk sizes. This caused a few issues connecting dishwasher waste pipes and the main waste pip supplied isnt long enough to go through an exterior wall. I end up having to buy some pipe weld to melt the euro and uk sized piping.

The free standing tall larder has incorrectly marked points for affixing screw and trays. The door is actually the thickness of the base of the unit to high (base 24mm thick and door is 24mm too high)

other wise its a way better finish than anything from else I have found for the price and I would buy one again

I ordered my Ikea kitchen per my previous post and have had nothing but hassle ever since - they have muffed up the delivery (they tried to put it back by two weeks until I went into the store and caused a fuss), they can't confirm when the rest of the stuff will be delivered, and now I'm having sneaking suspicions that the lady that put all my requirements into their computer for the order has also muffed up in terms of the number of drawer fronts.

Everything else is going well - the building work, the electrics, the plumbing, the appliance and flooring delivery - everything has been great but I've had a number of sleepless nights thanks to our Scandinavian friends.

My advice: if you want an Ikea kitchen, hire a van and take the stuff home yourself, don't leave it to their delivery system which quite frankly is an absolute shambles. And they tell fibs too.

And check the order three times - I only checked it twice and looking at it again last night (after yet another phone call to Ikea) has made me doubt that they have actually ordered what I asked for!

I have learnt my lesson well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back