Ikea Whirlpool dwf b10 problem with wash cycle

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have returned from 2 week holiday to find my dishwasher has packed up. It was in the house when i moved in so need to know if it is worth getting repaired or just buy a new one....

the problem is it fills fine and then one filled it sits and the spray arms dont spin? the soap pops out fine and it heats up fine the water just dowsnt move.

I'm not sure if their is a pump that moves this water in addition to the pump that fills and drains?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
It could be any one of the following:
Spray arms blocked - pressure loss - wash motor capacitor faulty - wash motor impeller jammed/defective - wash motor defective.
Do you hear the wash motor humming? Do you get an error code (a series of repeated flashes on the start button)?

Many thanks for your reply wash arms are all clear there is a very slight noise when the spray arm is supposed to be running if it is the pump is gone is this worth a fix and how easy a job it is around 5years old now

Sponsored Links
No regarding salt light. Otherwise it depends. First you need to identify which component is actually defective. Do you own a multimeter & are you prepared to investigate further?

Yes I have one at work where would you start testing presumably it's all going on under the machine? Of can I access by undoing the screws around the main spray arm (bottom)?

A good place to start would be to remove the side plates & observe what is (or isn't) functioning. Removing the right hand plate will allow you to see the wash motor etc, removing the left will allow you to see the matrix/water system. I don't know if you have room to try this but that's where I would begin. To check or change most major components lie the machine on its back & remove the bottom plate. This gives you access to most things (plug out & water disconnected of course).

I have stripped sides off there is water running through the matrix I don't think the main wash motor is running at all I can't reach the terminals at present it doesn't apear burnt out do I just locate the plug and check IRS getting power? I haven't got it on back as yet

I have noticed the metal thing looks like a d type battery with live and neutral wires is very hot is this normal ?

I believe you may be referring to the wash motor start capacitor. Post a pic or look at what is written on the body (should say 8 or 10uf). If the capacitor fails the wash motor will not run, it will just "hum". Similarly; if the wash motor is jammed (either because the impellor or seals are jammed) it will have the same effect...the motor just hums. With the power off try to turn the rotor on the wash motor to check if it is actually jammed. If it turns freely it may point to a defective start capacitor.

If the motor turns freely I would suspect a faulty capacitor (the silver "D" type battery thing you mentioned). Remove the capacitor & pop into your local domestic appliance workshop & ask them to test it, or if your multimeter has a capacitance function test it yourself.

the capacitor has 4 uf on it the reading came out at1.011 nf does this mean the capacitor is broken??

Off the top of my head (which doesn't always function as it should) I would have thought it may have been a higher uf. That said...if it says 4uf & measures 1nf it is history. Buy a new capacitor & that should cure your problem. They are not expensive :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back