Illuminated mirror

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have an illuminated bathroom mirror with demister and shaving socket.

There is a motion sensor switch.
A couple of days ago, a lightbulb blew with a crackle and a pop.

We have replaced the bulbs but it still doesn't work. When we wave our hand under the motion sensor there is no click.

I don't think it is the power supply as the mirror's shaving socket still works fine (we use it for toothbrushes).

There is an IR sensor switch on the right and a T8 ballast on the left that look reasonably easy to replace.

Am I right in thinking the fault is likely to be the switch and that it would be best to replace this first?

Sponsored Links
The shaver point will be powered from the 230V supply.

The sensor and other stuff will probably be powered through a separate power supply, so probably that (or a fuse in it) has gone pop.

Better to get a multimeter and find out what is not working, rather than changing things willy-nilly.
That's not the best way to find a fault.

Ok thanks for taking time to respond. Might have to get someone in who knows what they're doing...

Funny enough, I have a similar mirror but mine has bluetooth built in. It is the bluetooth that is not working on mine.

There is a black PSU inside mine which powers the bluetooth and the mains powers the IR sensor. I can see the black PSU is not wokring as the LED on it is flickering when load is on it, but solid when it is not connected to anything.

A bit stupid as the thing is only 3 months old! why can't they make things the way they used to make them in the past, i.e. to last!

Sponsored Links
Did you know... the first light bulb ever made is still alight today?
There was a calculated attempt by a cartel to redesign lightbulbs with a shorter lifespan so people would have to replace them.
Planned obsolescence.
Look up the Phoebus cartel.

A bit stupid as the thing is only 3 months old! why can't they make things the way they used to make them in the past, i.e. to last!

Well they don't need to now as we have strong consumer legislation that says goods must be fit for purpose and can be rejected. So why haven't you done so?

I actually had to look up why on earth anyone would want Bluetooth in a mirror. I just have a battery powered radio on top of my bathroom cabinet.

I actually had to look up why on earth anyone would want Bluetooth in a mirror. I just have a battery powered radio on top of my bathroom cabinet.

I can leave my ipad outside and listen to the radio whilst having a shower :D

Kids find it amusing as well :D

Well they don't need to now as we have strong consumer legislation that says goods must be fit for purpose and can be rejected. So why haven't you done so?

of course I have. Currently waiting for the replacement. However it is the hassle of getting the thing off the wall, then having to wait for the replacement and then installing it back up again.

I have returned many many things under the consumer protection act and sale of goods act. But as said, it is the time wasting that it takes to action all of that.

The said bathroom place refused to accept a fault with their sink. after a month of trying to negotiate, I then had to start CC action against them and then they admitted fault. But if they had got things made properly in the first place, then none of this would have happened.

The said bathroom place refused to accept a fault with their sink. after a month of trying to negotiate, I then had to start CC action against them and then they admitted fault. But if they had got things made properly in the first place, then none of this would have happened.
You really don't have much luck, do you.

Electricians ripping you off.

Bathroom suppliers ripping you off.

Services and products you buy going t*ts up.

Legal actions needed or threatened to get you what you are entitled to.

One might start to wonder how so many things can go wrong for one person.

I don't find the noise of showering conducive to being able to follow what is being said on the radio.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back