I'm scared to change the oil because I think I stripped the sump threads last time, but it needsdoin

I think you are correct, M.....how about the tube to the right?
I can’t see the chain drive to the oil pump either - I suspect its a PSA lump.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Which engine is it?
Any suction pipe will stop at that first bend - I suppose you could measure the amount of oil that you manage to extract to give you some idea.
The common rail VAG engines have access to the filter from underneath so there’s no choice but to drop the shield off.
John :)
1.6 HDi in a berlingo van

just found an article regarding this engine and it says "allow the oil to drain by gravity for at least 10 minutes (DO NOT USE SUCTION METHODS)"

so presumably the shape of the dipstick pipe is the reason why, must have made it that shape so as you can check oil with engine running ? So I will do what I have always done and drain it out the bottom.

Sponsored Links
Yes, I should have done another thread as it has nothing to do with the OP which in turn had nothing to do with me.

it was a side discussion on whether to drain or suck

Time for its oil change and thought I would have a go sucking it out rather than draining. Do you push a tube down the dip stick pipe or does something fit over the dipstick pipe?

I'm guessing I push a tube down, but with a flexable hose how do I know it is touching the bottom. ?

I have a rubber pipe and it is going down 9mm deeper than the bottom of the dipstick before it stops - do you reckon that is it ?

pipe only has internal dia of 3.4mm is that big enough?

I just want to say I love your picture about driving slowly to protect wildlife. I always drive slowly when near wooded areas especially usually allowing cars to close behind to overtake. I am always looking out and prepared to make emergency manoeuvres if I suddenly see an animal walk out into the road. I drive slow at night in particular to give myself extra time tio stop in case I see an animal on the road.

1.6 HDi in a berlingo van

just found an article regarding this engine and it says "allow the oil to drain by gravity for at least 10 minutes (DO NOT USE SUCTION METHODS)"

so presumably the shape of the dipstick pipe is the reason why, must have made it that shape so as you can check oil with engine running ? So I will do what I have always done and drain it out the bottom.

No it's because the engines are a nightmare for oil carbonisation, and suction method cannot get it all out.

The old stuff that remains turns into sludge and solid carbon, this generally then breaks down and gets sent around the system and clogs up turbos etc

Sponsored Links
Back