I'm scared to change the oil because I think I stripped the sump threads last time, but it needsdoin

That is a quick way to wreck an modern diesel engine. If the oil in a modern diesel engine gets too diluted with diesel, the thinned diesel/oil mixture bypasses seals, gets into the intake and and the engine starts to run on its own oil. That leads to a runaway engine that you can't easily stop and will rev itself into oblivion.

We're talking about an old banger with 200k miles on it.
Surely you won't be doing this on a brand new mercedes s class.
Do we really have to specify such things???
If you need to be told every little detail of an oil change, you should definitely close the bonnet and go to a mechanic.

Sponsored Links
What if the OP taps a new thread, installs a new sump plug then cross threads it again like he said he did in the first place?

Although not as thorough, suck the oil out just like all those professional garages do.

I will not make the same mistake again, I will be very careful from now on and if I am not sure if my ratchet or whatever I am using is on loosen I will try it out on something else first like the battery terminal.

I might actually for now try draining the oil as you guy's said as I hav other things I want to do on the car and I don't want to potentially have an oil sump problem to deal with at the time being as well as.

I want to sort out the handbrake cables next etc, maybe I will drain the oil through the dipstick tube for now and later on look at the situation with the oil sump, hoping it'll be a simple new oil drain plug fix instead of stripped thread in the sump and if it is the latter I will deal with that then, whether it be me who tried it with the tap repair or I get a garage to do it .

Will draining the oil leave any oil behind, will I be best jacking up the car to try and get as much oil out as possible ? thanks

We're talking about an old banger with 200k miles on it.
Surely you won't be doing this on a brand new mercedes s class.
Do we really have to specify such things???
If you need to be told every little detail of an oil change, you should definitely close the bonnet and go to a mechanic.

I had no difficulities with doing na oil and filter change though, I was probably half asleep and made a silly mistke and had ratchet on tighten and not loosen when undoing drain plug bolt, I will not make this mistake again.

Yep. If an oil sucker is good enough for a brand new premium brand model without a sump drain plug, it’s good enough for the OP's 200,000 miler. (y)

Hey Mottie, I hope you are doing well and I want to remind you that I appreciete you and I still feel bad that I disregrded your advice when trying to help me when doing the drive belt, I really appreciete your help throughout

I might actually for now try draining the oil as you guy's said as I hav other things I want to do on the car and I don't want to potentially have an oil sump problem to deal with at the time being as well as.

I want to sort out the handbrake cables next etc, maybe I will drain the oil through the dipstick tube for now and later on look at the situation with the oil sump, hoping it'll be a simple new oil drain plug fix instead of stripped thread in the sump and if it is the latter I will deal with that then, whether it be me who tried it with the tap repair or I get a garage to do it .

Will draining the oil leave any oil behind, will I be best jacking up the car to try and get as much oil out as possible ? thanks

Read more: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/...-but-it-needsdoin.544773/page-4#ixzz6MSok5Ys9

Sponsored Links
That is a quick way to wreck an modern diesel engine. If the oil in a modern diesel engine gets too diluted with diesel, the thinned diesel/oil mixture bypasses seals, gets into the intake and and the engine starts to run on its own oil. That leads to a runaway engine that you can't easily stop and will rev itself into oblivion.

Hi
I agree with you, The thoguht of pouring diesel down where the engine oil goes does not sit very well with me and I think it will be safer and less risky to flush it out with engine oil than opposed to diesel.

thanks

I will not make the same mistake again, I will be very careful from now on and if I am not sure if my ratchet or whatever I am using is on loosen I will try it out on something else first like the battery terminal.

The simple test is can you turn the bolt or nut by hand with your fingers?
I've never had bother hand turning a sump plug.

By the way, do you have a Haynes manual for the car?

I'd rather just swallow the cost of getting the sump replaced, even if it is a complicated affair, on the caveat that I help the mechanic. That way the job gets done AND I learn how to do it myself along with the other bits of knowledge picked up during that process. That's how I learned to replace my own sump and rocker gaskets.

If the OP bless him takes the sump plug out and finds the sump thread has pulled out with it :eek:
He’ll need a plan B because the car may well be undriveable.
Take it from me, if a suction pump leaves a bit of oil behind it won’t matter at all......use a quality oil and filter and all will be well.
Many diesels now don’t need an oil drop until 18k - if you dare - so an oil change at 5k or whatever must be sheer luxury!
John :)

Hi
I agree with you, The thoguht of pouring diesel down where the engine oil goes does not sit very well with me and I think it will be safer and less risky to flush it out with engine oil than opposed to diesel.

thanks

Ask any REAL mechanic.
That's where I learned some of the tricks, not on a forum.

The simple test is can you turn the bolt or nut by hand with your fingers?
I've never had bother hand turning a sump plug.

By the way, do you have a Haynes manual for the car?

Hi
I don't think the sump bolt will be in tight enough if I was to screw it in by hand. (if that's what you mean ? )

Yes I do have Haynes repair manual but I don't thinkn they are as good as online help or YouTube tutorials

Sponsored Links
Back