Immersion heater advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the situation unlike the original post holder above that my hot water is supplied by a Gas boiler to a Tank in the airing cupboard, however the tank also has an immersion heater which I'm about to replace the flex to, however I've never used the immersion I've always run on gas. I want to keep the capability of using the immersion heater if the gas boiler fails for whatever reason but want to @Isolate@ the power supply to the immersion heater. (As I will not always be the one in the house).

Is it OK just to remove the Live wire from the Immersion heater MCB (20A) in the CU ?................if so where do I put this @bare@ wire...what is the protocol for doing this ?........do I have to sleeve it up...or secure it anywhere ?.........I don't for obvious reasons want to cut it off because I won't then be able to connect to MCB in the event it is required.

Thanks,
Paul

Sponsored Links
sounds like an unusual set up. anyway to answer your question, dont play around with the mains board (CU) either completely disconnect it or dont.

what do you mean by isolate? the flex that goes into the heater should come from a switched fused spur. If this is switched off no power will travel through it, yet it'll be ready to be switched on wenever it is required.

If its not on a switched fuse spur - put it on one.

To wire the new flex (why are u doing this?) just turn the breaker off at the CU

what the hell was wrong with your original thread???? anotehr one who doesn't appreciate we aren't mind readers and might not realise we have two threads on the same subject by the same poster.

Sponsored Links
Wasn't the same subject.............after reading the post at the start of this thread I then thought about why do I need "both" methods of heating & would like to go down the Gas route & immersion only as back up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back