Immersion Heater Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon Chaps,

I wondered if someone might be able to point me in the right direction re. my immersion heater as after four cold showers on the trot, the novelty has well and truly worn off.
I have an analog time switch which I noticed was becoming noisy over the last few weeks and last weekend was starting to sound well and truly knackered. On coming home from work on Monday, and stepping into the shower I was confused to find myself struggling to breathe and swearing repeatedly. I don't normally do this when showering and after several seconds I deduced that it may have been because the water was freezing cold.
I intially thought that it was just the switch that was causing the problem but after bypassing the switch and wiring directly from the mains to the heater, I still have no hot water. The power is definitely there as I can hear activity in the tank when I switch it on so I am wondering if I am right in thinking that the thermostat is ok and that maybe the switch might have got stuck in the "on" position and burnt out the immersion element.
I just wondered if someone might be able to advise me if they think I am correct in this assumption and if so, if they have any tips for releasing the old element as I am worried I might damage the tank as it seems like it might be seized.
Any help would be very much appriciated.

Thanks Guys

Sponsored Links
The immersion elements do split after a number of years and will stop working, this usually trips the MCB or blows the fuse. However not always.

Are you confident with a multimeter?

The power is definitely there as I can hear activity in the tank when I switch it on
is there water running into the cold water tank, as might happen if there was a leak and the hot water was running away faster than it heated?

When you turn on the immersion heater, does the electricity meter run faster?i

are all the other hot taps running cold as well?

Does the cold supply to the shower come from the tank or the mains?

Sponsored Links
Most likely the immersion heater or thermostat has gone.

I suggest buy immersion heater and thermostat they are only cheap.
Try the thermostat first you will be able to hear the immersion heater heating the water if you place your ear close by a slight bubbling humming noise.
Otherwise drain tanks and replace immersion heater. Use plenty of WD40 first.

Thanks for all your suggestions guys. Not possessing a multimetre, I took a gamble and bought a new immersion heater but after several hours of trying to free the original I have had to admit defeat and call in a pro. I tried a conventinal spanner and a box wrench and plenty of penetrating oil but the structure of the tank began to distort and I started to have visions of it all going horribly wrong with potentially tragic consequences for all involved. Thanks again for all your replies though- very much appreciated :)

Tank full of water - then 24inch stillsons - never had a crease or buckle on one ;) " give me a lever long enough and I will move the earth"- Archimedes :mrgreen:

but the structure of the tank began to distort
bet you drained it first.
should of just drilled it out if it fails to move rather than waste time.
I didn't actually- but that was more by luck than judgement! You've got me thinking now though. I don't suppose you could give me an idiots guide on how to go about drilling it out could you chief? I've had a couple of Stella's and am feeling confident about having another go again tomorrow :p

heres one thats been cut out

imm2.jpg

imm3.jpg

just be careful when you do the horizontal flat cut as thats the sealing surface and you don't want to damage that.

what kind of saw, seco? it looks like the flange is brass, I suppose once you have cut it, it will collapse when you put the spanner on it?

i done that with just a normal hacksaw blade on its own with the end taped.
i cut both vertical/horizontal then cut each one bit at a time till that section got loose then you can tell which edge needs the final cut without damaging the cylinder.

the vertical cut cuts into the thread alittle because they over lap but as you know thats not the sealing face. ;)

sometimes one cut enough to loosen the tension on the thread and it comes undone.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back