Immersion Heater Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My hot water is heaated by an immersion heater. The water is very very hot all the time. I looked at the stats on the immersion they were both at 55, is this the reason why or could it be something else?

Sponsored Links
Faulty stat should be set to 60c. Fit a new stat asap. Turn off the electric to the immersion NOW, it could and is boiling over to the cold water tank above.

Andy

You say 2 stats.... is there 2 elements? If so sounds like it may be a pressurised system so maybe no loft tank, but if its overheating the pipe sticking out the building should have water coming out.

Either way turn it off ASAP!!!!

Thanks for your help guys. I have two stats as there is two elemants, one for on-peak and the other for off-peak I'd imagine. I will replace the stats tomorrow.

Sponsored Links
Turn off the power to the immersions and run both hot and cold water taps in the bath for 10 minutes.

Andy

Turn the temperature control, you should hear a click as the stat switches.
You can confirm the operation by putting your test meter (set to ohms) across the stat connections - power off & disconnect wires to the stat first!

If the tank is as hot as you say the stat should show open circuit. Remove it from the tank and the stat should operate and show continuity.

OK, situation update. The power to the immersion has been turned off. Tested both stats but they both were showing open circuit until I turned the dial then showed close. This was both in & out the tank. When I took the stats out the bottom bit thats usually pointy seems to have expanded due to the heat a fair bit and was now a rather large hole, could this be the problem? Also tested the element and was getting about 18-20 ohms so that seems ok? Anyway I'm currently running the hot & cold taps for 10 mins as suggested. Haee two new stats, connections marled + & - I'm assuming it doesnt matter what connection goes in either out of the live & one connected to element as it's only a switch really.

Update number 2! The top stat (the boost) is working fine, when power goes to it it starts heating up, making a noise similar to a kettle boiling but not as loud but when the off peak comes on it's not very warm, doesn't sound like it's heating and make more of a quiet whistling noise?! Is there any chance it could be more of a plumbing problem now?!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back