Immersion Leak

I have given the information you asked for and particularly the possible costs.
The information you attempted to give had already been provided.

The costs you gave were for a new cylinder, whereas the OP asked for the cost of a new system.

No one else has done this.
No one else has behaved like *****, more like.

I also offered to advise you on any replacement issues if you posted a picture of the whole cylinder.
You added nothing - a picture had already been requested before you lurched ****** onto the scene. :rolleyes:

I am sorry that you are not appreciative of this!
You're not in the least bit sorry.

Sponsored Links
Bloody hell! the poor lady wants to know about her Cylinder not be asked for pics of her self. If a mod has edited a post to read in a way that the op has been offended or even threatened the mod should be sacked.

Tony
Senior moderator and admin on 4 different forums.

Sponsored Links
//www.diynot.com/network/angelpie/albums/

Back to the leak.....

Not sure how to show pictures but this link should go to my album? And Tony (Agile) there are no personal ones so I wouldnt waste your time looking at them.

Looking at the leak last night it was worse than I remembered! Also the cylinder seems to be bending in just under the element. I think even more that I should insist on a new tank and element.

it looks to have been leaking for a long long time.

i wouldn't be too alarmed at the moment.

in your op you said you wanted to replace the tank & immersion. i suggest you get some quotes.

if you can post a picture of your whole airing cupboard, someone will give you a rough idea of what may be required & possible cost.

Thank you for your help spacethegas. Do you think i should speak to a plumber who does more heating and plumbing? I will take some more pictures tonight.

Looking at those pictures the leak has been there for quite some time.

The fibre washer looks slightly displaced, which must have happened when it was installed, so seco's suggestion is viable.

If it were my cylinder I'd take the risk of attempting to replace the element. It might be difficult to get out, but anyone with experience will know the various ways and means. ;)

You won't fix it with sealant, and I've never heard of a reconditioned cylinder, but the remaining alternative of replacing the cylinder will certainly fix the problem. I still don't understand why someone thought this wasn't possible.

Given that yours has a side-entry element at the bottom, it seems likely that this is a direct cylinder, which makes it even easier than an indirect installation.

Do you think i should speak to a plumber who does more heating and plumbing?
So what kind of plumbers have you been asking? :eek:

Unfortunately you have only posted pictures of the leaking bit.

You say that you want to replace the whole cylinder and I asked you to post a full length nude picture of the cylinder ( i.e. without any removable jacket ).

Then we can judge if there are any difficulties in replacing it.

No one in their right mind would ever consider replacing just the immersion element on such a badly corroded cylinder and it could burst at any moment.

Tony

No one in their right mind would ever consider replacing just the immersion element on such a badly corroded cylinder and it could burst at any moment.
That's just incompetent scare-mongering.

How many OV cylinders have you seen "burst". :rolleyes:

There's no evidence of corrosion - the pictures show nothing more than scale.

There's no evidence of corrosion - the pictures show nothing more than scale.

Have you ever seen green scale before?

Its probably mostly copper carbonate caused by the copper reacting with carbon dioxide in water.

When the copper is only 0.7 mm thick or less there is not much metal when its corroded.

I have seen several cylinders which have started leaking after corroding like that and the customers phone and say "its burst".

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back