Immersion timer No power on Switch but clock working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I really hope some one can help please ?

I have a timer on my day time immersion heater switch.... the clock on the timer is working but the switch on the wall isn't (no red light when switched mis turned on)

I have attached a picture showing the issue.

I have checked the fuse board downstairs and the fuse hasn't tripped out and is showing as on..

Would be grateful for any advice.

Many thanks for any help and your time.

Kind regards

Mike

Attachments

• 20240122_151939.jpg
    20240122_151939.jpg
    497.6 KB · Views: 35
Sponsored Links
Thank you for the reply...would there be an internal fuse within the switch ?

Picture attached was when it was working :)

Attachments

• xsx.jpg
    xsx.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 27
Oh no, my mistake - no fuse in that one.

Just used to writing that answer to similar queries.

Sponsored Links
Could the clock be battery powered? Check for a loose/burnt wire as suggested.

Neons do fail, I have seen many a neon not working, but the switch or socket is still OK. I have an easy test Testing for live.jpg my meter has a non contact test, so all I need to do is hold it close, what makes you think the immersion is not working other than lack of neon? And what have you got to test with?

But it goes to programmer first, I have found with central heating doing water heating the water will stay hot for a few days, but with the immersion heater if no sun that day, water goes cold, as immersion does not go low enough in the tank, so would assume with peak and off peak likely the same, and if peak stops working it could be years before you realise it has stopped.

So only easy way without a tester would be to turn off peak off for a few days and see if water goes cold, or run a bath. But a simple non contact tester means far easier to test without waiting a couple of days. These 1705941847666.pngseem to be liked by the DIY person, and in this case a good way to test.

It's probably just the neon indicator light that has failed. (Unless its a led in modern units?).
Need a wider picture to be sure the day switch white cable goes into timer lhs and the yellowed wire off to the immersion element... but that's the only logical way to wire in a timer imho.

That the timer lights and works would mean the immersion should work, too.

Reactions: CBW
Many thanks for all the informative replies.

I think its more than just the noen light as when the switch is switched to on... the buttons on the timer like boost still don't work when pressed

Thanks again

Mike

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back