Impedance value

To Sum Up?

Use 2-core SWA from house CU to Garage CU. Terminate the armour to the Garage CU (as nearly all are plastic these days) leaving it connected to house earth, via metal terminal box and earth connection.
Use independant earth arrangement for the garage itself via rod,
ensure that garage CU has RCD which all should have.
Of Course make sure the SWA is of sufficient size to manage load.
Connect circuits and away you go?????
?????

Sponsored Links
allsorts said:
The home is not a TT system, and the garage is no more than 1500mm from the home.
Remind me again why you want to bother with an earth rod in the first place?

just noticed this..

If you do that, presumably you use 2-core SWA, as you're not taking an earth to the outbuilding. What do you do with the armour at the shed-end?

and

To Sum Up?

Use 2-core SWA from house CU to Garage CU. Terminate the armour to the Garage CU (as nearly all are plastic these days) leaving it connected to house earth, via metal terminal box and earth connection.
Use independant earth arrangement for the garage itself via rod,
ensure that garage CU has RCD which all should have.
Of Course make sure the SWA is of sufficient size to manage load.
Connect circuits and away you go?????

I would use metal clad cu in a garage, however assume garage CU is plastic.. you are saying terminate into this..

I was under the impression that all parts of an exposed gland were to be bonded..

If you do then youve defeated the point, and you then run the risk of a Earth (PME Neutral) to Earth shock (Rod) - Not nice.

Sponsored Links
if the gland is connected to the house earthing system and you are using a seperate earthing system in the garage then you should make sure there are NO exposed parts of the gland (ie the gland cover is fitted well)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back