Improving water pressure for a shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone, I am hoping for some advice. I am currently redoing my bathroom in my new house and have an issue with the water pressure to the shower. The hot water is the std gravity fed system with the hot water tank in the airing cupboard next to the shower. The header tank is in the loft about 4-5 meters about HW cylinder. Hot water outlet from cylinder is 22mm for at 6inches then into 15mm. I have tried different 'low pressure shower heads' but water pressure is still poor. In my previous house I had the same set up except the HW outlet from cylinder was 22mm all the way up into loft and over to shower drop down then 15mm and the header tank was larger in size.
Can someone give advice on whether the size of the pipework or the header tank is the problem?

Many thanks :)

Sponsored Links
Pipe work size will affect flow, 'pressure' is limited to the head at the cold water storage.

If you have good mains flow and pressure.
Unvented cylinder for mains pressure hot water.
Otherwise shower pump required.

Hi thanks for the help. I just cannot understand why in previous house (in the same area as new house) the pressure was good compared to new house. :confused:

Sponsored Links
Hi thanks for the help. I just cannot understand why in previous house (in the same area as new house) the pressure was good compared to new house. :confused:

Sounds like a restriction in the pipe or something if your shower is 4 to 5 metres under the cold tank it should rocket out.

Perhaps there is a narrow bore hose or high pressure shower valve fitted?

Perhaps there is a spring loaded non return valve in the system.
This will restrict in a low pressure system.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back