In a deep hole

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well a relative is, has a soak-away dug in back garden for rainwater from a rear extension in Welling , Kent.
Its over 15 foot deep probably nearer 17-18ft and so far nothing but clay, there is also a slight seepage of water at about 15ft suggesting its already below water table. Any suggestion how to proceed , I suggested a small post hole borer to test further depth since it should be quicker than digging but what if all it reveals is more clay.?

Sponsored Links
Are you avin' a giraffe?

18' deep! What are you digging it with?

There is no saying how deep the seam of clay is so expect it to go on beyond any reasonable extractable depth.

If you have dug a pit as deep as you say then the catchment alone will see you through a blinking good shower. :LOL:

Clay is lousy as a soakaway. I think i would have opted for a combined sewer/strom drain once i had dug down two feet! :p

I am not involved but has been dug by hand over several months.
In heavy rain we had it filled in two days and had to be pumped out.
No reasonable access to other drains. :?:

Sponsored Links
By hand I obviously mean with a spade, I warned him not to leave it unshored but so far he has not heeded advice. I am suprised he has not lost his dog down there by now.[too early for an April fools joke].

Did not have my camera with me, he is not even using a ladder to access but has cut steps in th clay.My brother in law is a miners son , maybe thats why he went so deep. ;) Also has a pile of bricks [about 500] stacked on it's edge. :rolleyes:

We cordon off a typical soakaway that is only say 1.8m deep.

The one your relative is digging is a deathtrap in the making.

Yes I told him, he has three kids as well as the dog, well he did have at last count.

By hand I obviously mean with a spade, I warned him not to leave it unshored but so far he has not heeded advice. I am suprised he has not lost his dog down there by now.[too early for an April fools joke].
Now`t as cold as a well diggers arse :eek:

Surprised he hasn't struck water or oil. :mrgreen:

Edit; OOh he has struck water.
Obviously a complete nutter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back