In between rafters insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Should I get in between rafters insulation fitted before felt/batten and roof tiling, or afterwards?

I am thinking, if I do it before, there will be much easier access to both sides of the rafters, but once the membrane is on, there will only be access from below.

Sponsored Links
Should I get in between rafters insulation fitted before felt/batten and roof tiling, or afterwards?

I am thinking, if I do it before, there will be much easier access to both sides of the rafters, but once the membrane is on, there will only be access from below.
Before is fine as long as the sparks and plumbers don’t have to rip it all out again to first fix.

Good point, had not thought of that.
I ask them to fix the cables in the top 50mm vent void so that the cable runs and the insulation don’t clash. We always fit the insulation after plumbing and electrics though. It is a horrid job.(n)

Sponsored Links
I insulated my vaulted ceiling from inside... but said next time I’d do it from outside and push it inwards, it’s no fun with insulation in your eyes etc, it always get past your specs.

I ask them to fix the cables in the top 50mm vent void so that the cable runs and the insulation don’t clash.
Now that I think of it, we cannot do electrics 1st fix after insulation, unless they pull it out where they need to, vent void or not, and then re-install it! What a nightmare.

I am thinking, clipping cables under the rafters might be possible if they are very straight fitted so as not to interfere with the insulated plasterboard too much. Depends on how many cables I suppose.

next time I’d do it from outside and push it inwards, it’s no fun with insulation in your eyes etc, it always get past your specs.
It seems I *MUST* have the insulation fitted from the outside to make it more accessible for the small, narrow crawl spaces, or the very high out of reach locations.

You are not serious, surely?
It is not my idea, it's how a lot of cabling was done at my last house inside the loft, bunches of cables clipped together under the rafters running across the length of the roof, near the ridge. Could I please ask why this is a bad idea?

It is not my idea, it's how a lot of cabling was done at my last house inside the loft, bunches of cables clipped together under the rafters running across the length of the roof, near the ridge. Could I please ask why this is a bad idea?
Under the rafters is very bad if you are talking vaulted. That’s your fixing zone right there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back