Insulating between rafters using rockwool

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My loft has been converted and has two roof voids, whose vertical walls are about four feet high (below the main horizontal roof purlins) which are accessed by small (3ft x 3ft approx) cupboard doors. The tiles in the voids do not have a membrane (the house was built in the 1880s) and there are drafts blowing into the bedroom. The roofing tiles surrounding the internal plastered ceiling are insulated with loose sheet polystyrene.

I plan to use Rockwool-style insulation between the rafters and secure this somehow - I haven't worked out how yet. I was planning on getting 170mm insulation but having read around this forum, there are plenty of posts about leaving various air gaps to prevent condensation.

Should I get a membrane, nail this to the underside of the rafters and then try to attach the insulation to this, leaving a gap of some 70mm between the tiles and the membrane (ie, the depth of the rafters).

Should I stuff the insulation into the 70mm depth of the rafters and use a staple gun to attach a membrane to hold the insulation in place behind the tiles?

Here's a rough plan of what I'm planning to insulate:

Any help gratefully received - Thanks in advance

Christopher

Sponsored Links
That part of the conversion is supposed to be draughty, You should fit draught excluders to the doors and make sure the stud walls are properly insulated.

Thanks Alastair

I am now thinking of attaching (staple-gunning?) a breathable membrane to the underside of the rafters to reduce drafts and 'catch' bits of mortar from below the tiles - I need to use the roof voids for storage, and want to avoid everything becoming covered in sand / dust. I can leave a 'flap' of the membrane where the roof meets the floor so there's the ability for air to circulate - does that sound like a sensible idea?

The walls up to the purlins are insulated with sheets of polystyrene and seem to be fine (While I could double-insulate, it would be a nightmare to manouvre 8x4 sheets of Kingspan through the cupboard doors anyway!!) so I'll concentrate my efforts on draught-proofing the doors.

Thanks for your help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back