In-line RCD for a shower

Sponsored Links
Then again...
Then again what?

It is notifiable, no matter how ridiculous you think that is.

Your question was:
Would this be notifiable?
and the answer is yes, it would be - there is absolutely no doubt about that.

I really can't see why it should be given that it will not in any way adversely affect the existing circuit's safety or ratings.
Maybe you can't but your inability to see why it should be does not change the fact that it is.
Oh dear, well I'd better leave it as it is and save up my pennies to pay for a part pee person, or for some expensive local authority inspection. In the mean time, shall my family and I risk electrocution to keep the legislators happy? No! :LOL:

We're never going to agree on this one. You take the law literally as you have read it, but I read a bit deeper in an attempt to understand what it really means and what it is really intended to achieve. I can replace the shower without notification; I can replace the cable without notification, or the pull-cord switch, all of which are prone to the same or greater risks associated with erroneous connections etc. etc.

Any law that says I can replace a shower but not add an in-line RCD without notification deserves zero respect. Nobody can expect to be take seriously defending it. It's completely daft!

Oh dear, well I'd better leave it as it is and save up my pennies to pay for a part pee person, or for some expensive local authority inspection. In the mean time, shall my family and I risk electrocution to keep the legislators happy? No! :LOL:
The legislators do not require you to run those risks, not even for their happiness.

We're never going to agree on this one. You take the law literally as you have read it,
I read what it says, and what it says is crystal clear and not open to any interpretation. Your opinion, my opinion, UTCAA's opinion of it have absolutely no bearing on what it says.

but I read a bit deeper in an attempt to understand what it really means
It means what it says.

There is no guile or artifice, and it is not complex.

and what it is really intended to achieve.
Officially it is intended to achieve a reduction in casualties from electrical incidents in the home.

Your opinion, my opinion, UTCAA's opinion of whether that was the real intention of the people who wanted it have absolutely no bearing on what it says.

Whether its official intent is or is not, or can or cannot be achieved is relevant to whether it should be scrapped or changed, but has absolutely no effect on what it currently requires.

I can replace the shower without notification; I can replace the cable without notification, or the pull-cord switch, all of which are prone to the same or greater risks associated with erroneous connections etc. etc.
Indeed they are, but that does not mean that the requirement to notify the installation of an RCD does not exist.

Any law that says I can replace a shower but not add an in-line RCD without notification deserves zero respect.
Its existence is not dependent on your, my, or UTCAAs respect.

Nobody can expect to be take seriously defending it.
I see nobody defending it. But whether it has defenders or not has no bearing on whether it exists or not.

It's completely daft!
Nevertheless....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back