Inbuilt TV amplifier?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Phillips CRT tv has speaker connections at the back and I was wondering if I can hook up a pair of passive speakers to it? If I can't then why does it have those connections at the back? _20240405_182603.JPG

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Early surround sound?
Surround sound "effect"! :)

Screenshot_20240405-233703_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Screenshot_20240405-233907_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Plus, of course, as this TV doesn't have any built-in speakers, the front L and R speakers (which are detachable from the TV sides), would also connect here...

Screenshot_20240405-234254_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

It sort of makes you wonder how he heard any sound from the TV in the first place, if he didn't know what the connectors did :unsure:

It sort of makes you wonder how he heard any sound from the TV in the first place, if he didn't know what the connectors did :unsure:
I have been hearing sound from the TV for the last 5 years without any external speakers! This TV has got inbuilt speakers. I think the connectors might be for external speakers but with low output wattage?

I have been hearing sound from the TV for the last 5 years without any external speakers! This TV has got inbuilt speakers. I think the connectors might be for external speakers but with low output wattage?
Could you show us a picture of your actual TV, rather than a copy and paste from here?

Without assurance, I wouldn't like to experiment on my newly bought 300W sub.
Yes, the TV will take passive speakers. That was the idea. You could do with some that are fairly sensitive to make the most of the available power from the TV. Aim for 89~91dB/W/m (A.K.A. 89-91dB at 2.83V).

Regarding the sub, you'll need either a sub with a speaker level (hi-level) input, or a TV with a line level output that tracks the volume setting.

Hang on, are you the guy that was posting about surround sound the other day?

THIS is why your TV spec says it has it, you have to plug in external speakers to put at the back of the room!

And no, the spring clip connectors aren't for the sub, you should use the Left of the phono outputs to the right of the speaker terminals

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back