Incoming BT Cable and proximity to other services

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking for answers to two questions:

1) What voltage is the insulation on the incoming BT cable rated at (it's the relatively recent round cable, black sheath, quite stiff)?

2) If it is 250V+ will I get EMI problems if I route it in conduit (0.5m or so in length) with an electrical cable?

Sponsored Links
1) BT lines operate on 50v DC, but ringing current is delivered at 80v(rms) AC.

2) It's not safe for people working on the BT network, and I'm sure it's not permited, to route phone wiring alongside mains wiring.

But that doesn't mean that the insulation isn't rated for a higher voltage - the electricity cables in your house, for example, are rated at 450/750V...

2) It's not safe for people working on the BT network, and I'm sure it's not permited, to route phone wiring alongside mains wiring.
It's both, as long as the insulation is rated to the highest voltage present, i.e. 230...

But that doesn't mean that the insulation isn't rated for a higher voltage - the electricity cables in your house, for example, are rated at 450/750V...

It's both, as long as the insulation is rated to the highest voltage present, i.e. 230...

I didn't read question 1) properly and now I don't understand your reply on 2).

Sponsored Links
2) is what BS7671 says about proximity of LV cables to ELV cables, though I don't know if this is taking into account any interference induced from the mains cable into the telephone cable.

NO,NO,NO,NO,NO.......... besides the safety aspect if it is run alongside a 240v cable it will affect your adsl signal

NO,NO,NO,NO,NO.......... besides the safety aspect if it is run alongside a 240v cable it will affect your adsl signal
I wasn't thinking about ADSL, more a 50Hz hum.

ADSL operates at kHz frequencies - will it be affected by a 50Hz signal?

From an interference POV, I'm wondering if it would as telecoms cable is normally twisted pair hence any interference induced into one core of the pair should also be induced into the other, the ballance of the cable being taken should cancel it out. Not sure if broadband uses the pairs like this?

How the theory works in practice is another matter - I have seen normal telephone white stuff run in trunking with conduit singles before and they worked OK for voice without interference, not that I'm condoning such practice!

Run a phone cable next to mains for any length and you can get a nasty hum. Christmas tree lights can knock out ADSL so best to seperate from mains cable!!

Looking for answers to two questions:

1) What voltage is the insulation on the incoming BT cable rated at (it's the relatively recent round cable, black sheath, quite stiff)?

2) If it is 250V+ will I get EMI problems if I route it in conduit (0.5m or so in length) with an electrical cable?

Mmmm lots of experts ;)
For .5 of a metre it will be fine... obviously don't wrap it around the cable, but for that distance it WILL NOT affect the voice cable... I remember doing a test in my lab years ago for CAT5 data cable for mains induced RFI and it hardly measurable for a metre... Don't forget in in compartemtalised trunking they run along side each other for many metres! only 3mm apart! Can't be bothered to quote numbers and get all technical but, it the end it won't affect the voice cable!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back