Incoming RCD for TT System

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When a TT Supply enters a building doers it have to go directly into a plastic RCD incoming box before entering a metal CU? Its just the Guy from NIC the other dau said it would be against regs because not supplementary proected by RCD if 1st RCD was in Metal CU

Sponsored Links
There are issues with entering a metal clad CU on a TT - if the tails become damaged (most likely at the point of entry to CU), there is no earth fault protection, and the CU could become live (along with everything else). If the EFL was high, as expected on a TT, the supply fuse would sit happily.

The NIC have a guide which shows a special grommet used to protect the tails on entering a metal clad CU, but I would still prefer an RCD in an insulated enclosure first.......what am I saying.......I would prefer a TN-s or TN-c-s earthing syste first!

So if the TT system came from the supply fuses (3Phase) in2 henley blocks, then tails from the blocks into metal CUs, what would be best action to make safe and to NIC guidlines? Would installing a 3 Phase RCD in plastic CU which supplied Blocks be ok? If CU had a 30mA RCD instead of the required min 100mA RCD is that still ok for a Incomer?

If you are only supplying one CU, then do away with the henlys altogether and just have a TP RCD in a seperate insulated encloseure.

You should use a 100mA type S RCD as the incommer so that you provide discrimination between the incommer and the 30mA RCD(s) supplying the sockets.

I have never seen a TP TT supply.

Sponsored Links
I can only remember seeing a 3phase TT on a caravan site (with a PME supply!!)

I was under the impression that the normal way of doing caravan sites from a PME supply was to use the PME earth for the distribution network arround the site and only switch to TT at the sockets.

plugwash said:
I was under the impression that the normal way of doing caravan sites from a PME supply was to use the PME earth for the distribution network arround the site and only switch to TT at the sockets.

It is, but there are so many muppet sparkies around that I often see a crappy TT install with main RCD - A ****e design for an install.

It depends how big a site you are talking of, the one I was thinking about was only a tiny one with 6 outlets. The 3 phases were split over the 3 (single phase) posts. The 3 RCDs & 6MCBs were housed in a central location and were connected as a TT system.

Afaik on a larger setup it is acceptable to use a TT system with 100mA or greater type S RCDs for distribution circuits, the outlets must be protected by a 30mA device (iirc 3 outlets max per RCD).

By far the best method is to use the PME right upto the final connection the 16 AMP SOCKET.

You must not have anymore than 3 sockets per 30mA RCD. Generally, a post/piller will have 2 or 3 sockets, and one RCD. This post will rodded down.

The PME will protect the cables - no RCD on the supply to these cables.

A drawing would be clearer than my explanation.......maybe later.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back